GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: I'm So Pretty!
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Sheep 'r Us. Just love their funny faces.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any crits welcomed! Thanks.

Rabbit Twilight
07-11-2004, 03:10 PM
He's great! Really like his face, and the texture of wool on his front. It looks so real.

irish artist
07-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi Dana, looks like you have been busy painting. What were you planning here, a portrait or a pastoral scene? I'm guessing an animal portrait, in which case I'd have liked a "close-up" head painting. If I'm wrong, then a back-off to include more of the setting would have been a better painting. Sheep are hard, all that white fluff, but you've got to find a way to put values in the "white fluff". Once I read an article by an animal artist working in acrylics and she was painting a Rocky Mountain Ram. She underpainted the ram in a gray-brown shade, let that dry and then she would paint in the fluffy wool with various whites, the result was stuning. If you'd like to read the article with its step-by-step photos PM me and I'll dig it up and PM you the scan. Best Wishes for your Art.

Michael-Ann
07-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Oh man I love the face, I am a fiend for expressionless faces with coal black little eyes peering out at the world without connection or connotation. His wool looks good enough to want to bury your face in - well if they didn't stink so bad perhaps.

haaf
07-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Hey Dana, my neighbour just wants to say hi !
Sheep are just adorable, yours is great and a very clean one too.
Keep on painting more sheep. That's what the world needs!
Caroline

Gilberte
07-11-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm no expert in animal or wildlife painting at all but it surely is a good work. I can feel the wool ...
and I like the way the body continues outside the painting.

Dana Design
07-11-2004, 10:52 PM
irishartist, I've sent you a PM!

Michael-Ann, they don't all smell! Just the old sires who've not been ummmm, been fixed.

Caroline, my sheep likes your sheep.

Gilberte, thanks, hon. I like getting the personality of the faces rather than the whole body. Fun and interesting. Mostly fun!

Deano
07-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Hi, Dana.
Great face on the guy/girl....critter. Believeable wool texture in the shaded front. Do you think darkening the body portion behind the head would help it recede into the picture and let it's left ear stand out? Just a thought.

Dana Design
07-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Yep! I'm thinking so, also! Altho' I want to keep the whiteness of HER.

Thanks, Deano!

Spyderbabe
07-12-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm so jealous of you and Caroline, haivng these fab sheep around. What faces! (agree with Deano re the darkening. Did you do it?)

Dana Design
07-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Kathleen. I haven't changed it yet. Wanted to take it into PhotoShop and see what the results would be. What I wanted to have happen was have the sun shining on her from behind which would make her back hairs/wool almost glisten. Backlighting. But I'll take another look!

haaf
07-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Dana, I wouldn't change a BIG thing to that ear; you'll loose the backlight effect for sure, you could consider a tiny scruffled line tinted white with orange or very pale pink ( or just pick a shade from the inner ear and lighten it up)
Caroline ;)