GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Apples
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 17x11inch, 43x28cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is just a little test to improve my painting skills. Please try to ingnore the poor quality of the image. I will post a higher quality image later on :)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Feel free to critique anything about it!

jerryW
07-11-2004, 08:03 AM
convincingly moist straw berry color
shows the power of painting outside of the lines
terriffic!

irish artist
07-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Yeah, terrific! Looks like knife work. I'd like to see better shadow shapes on the bases of the fruit, otherwise I haven't alot to suggest. In the future we'd like to see more of this painting style of yours, maybe some hints for the members who'd like to try this?

Mikey
07-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Juicy and very enjoyable. Nice brush (errm knife) work.

Now Irish, If I could do that I'd be very pleased. Then maybe I can, so you've inspired me.

Mikey

Artistanne
07-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Juicy!

This is really beautiful, excellent work!

Michael-Ann
07-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Love the effect of light in this...the fruit have an ethereal feel.

V-A
07-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Wow. Thanks for your compliments everyone! This is way too much! :eek:

In the future we'd like to see more of this painting style of yours, maybe some hints for the members who'd like to try this?

I am actually rather new to oil painting and my way to paint is probably rather crude. To be honest i dont have a clue what i am doing so I dont mind sharing it :D

I painted this with brush (size 12) and with the palette knife. I started by laying out the composition with the knife. I scetched some of the corners of the apples to make sure that the fruits would fill the whole canvas. Then i started with the first apple, making the darkes tones first with the brush.
I didnt use any turpentine. I did use a lot of linseed oil to keep the paint flowing and to keep it wet. Then i added brighter tones and blended it with the darker and continued adding different colors in there. If i felt some part had wrong value, i just layed a new paint on top of it. Sometimes i mixed the colors on the canvas with the knife rather than on the palette.
I wanted to focus on keeping the shapes simple and to make some sort of statement on every stroke. From the close range it doesnt even look like apples and strawberrys, more like abstract shapes. Actually i didnt want to see it from the long range before i had added all the elements, cause i wanted to be bold and not to question my every choise too early. I just try to paint what i see :D

Irish, thanks for the tip about the shadows. I will refine them.

Gilberte
07-11-2004, 03:32 PM
All the essentials are present !
Great !

Cap
07-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Yum! yum! and yum! :clap:

Rabbit Twilight
07-11-2004, 09:04 PM
This is great! Will look forward to seeing more. I just love the yummy thick paint and color palette.

Dana Design
07-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Totally delicious! Love everything about this painting. Kudos! :clap: :clap:

V-A
07-12-2004, 04:38 PM
I thank you all! :D
Now the painting is finished and i ate those fruits last evening. Very delicious :)

Mikey
07-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Delicious and a terrific web site.

Mikey

V-A
07-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Delicious and a terrific web site.

Thanks for dropping by :)