PDA

View Full Version : How Will I Find You When You Aren't There?

Artistanne
07-10-2004, 11:31 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-10-2004/45754_how500.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: How Will I Find You When You Aren't There?
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
This is a collage inspired by the same series of photos I took from my Chelsea hotel room (see other thread entitled "Chelsea"). I often will do an abstract version LOOSELY based on a similar scene that I've interpreted realistically. In this case, it's an interpretation of a broader view of the Chelsea area rooftops/buildings in the distance. It's interesting (to me) to see the similarities/differences that come through when working in 2 different styles on the same subject matter.

Mediums used in this collage include pastel, ink wash and old oil color palettes.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any/all comments welcome

mfoxmelanson
07-10-2004, 03:42 PM
I like this very much!! I love the way you've created depth with the one slanted building and the deep colors in the distance.
The center doubles as an aerial view, for me, and adds much interest.
M.

Mikey
07-10-2004, 03:43 PM
I find quite a bit of visual excitement in these collages you do. In this one my personal response is I want to know what's behind that blue grid.

Mikey

Gilberte
07-10-2004, 05:08 PM
A mystery painting inviting us into a kaleidoscope !

Rabbit Twilight
07-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Very exciting painting, dancing with colors.

futurebird
07-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Is this 3-d?

Artistanne
07-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Thank you!

Future Bird: The 3-D look comes from the pieces of palette collaged onto the surface. A lot of the paint blobs are pretty thick.

Mikey: There's watercolor paper behind the blue grid. :D (Sorry, I just felt like being a wise guy today!)

mfoxmelanson: I can see where you can get an aerial view from the center portion. It's funny, but when I looked at the reference photo, I wasn't thinking buildings, etc.--I was just thinking squares, trapezoids, shapes. The view that I had was from an upper floor, so there were things that were visible from an aerial perspective and I think that feeling did creep through.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.