PDA

View Full Version : Castles in the Clouds

alfstan
07-10-2004, 02:38 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-10-2004/45505_castlescropped.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Castles in the Clouds
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 36 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a WIP that I started this morning. Any and all comments and critiques are wanted.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How can I improve on this?

Artistanne
07-10-2004, 12:09 PM
This is lovely! I know this is primarily about the sky, but I abolutely love the way you've handled the foreground.

I think it might read a bit better if you made the upper area of the sky a little more purple-ish--blending it from the top down into the cerulean you have. That will add a little bit more depth/distance. I also think carrying the cerulean down just a bit into the bottom half of the sky will help--right now it looks as if the clouds are cutting the sky in half, which they may very well be doing in real life. But the composition will hold together better if you repeat your colors throughout. You've started to do this on the lower right area with the cerulean in the clouds. Just carry this a little further in some areas farther down--not a lot, just a bit to tie it all together a little more.

I would also make those sun rays a little less prominent where you have them underneath the clouds--less opaque and more of a suggestion than they are now. Same on top--the clouds are interesting enough and I find the rays a bit distracting, like they are competing with the clouds for attention.

Last of all, in some areas of the sky, try losing a little bit of the edges of the clouds. You've done this perfectly in your foreground areas, lost and found edges will make your sky more mysterious.

This is really a beautiful start, can't wait to see it finished.