PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my wet shows!

meowmeow
07-09-2004, 04:56 PM
I have a few photos from the recent, mostly wet shows I just did here in southern Maine. I know sometimes it is helpful to people to see various set ups, so I thought I would post some of them.

This three pictures are from the Saco Sidewalk Festival. It rained off and on all day. The tents were set up in the street so you step down from the curb into the tent. Usually if the sun is out most people do not bother with the tent sides; maybe the back one at most. It is a nice, airy feeling and when you look down the street you can see all the people milling around and the artwork and it is quite festive. Take a look here! :D The first is people unpacking in the morning. The next is a lovely, festive view of the street. :D The last shows my "cave" (that is what it felt like!) with the chairs stuffed inside because there was no way I could sit outside that day.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2004/15050-unpack_wet.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2004/15050-wet.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2004/15050-cave.jpg

This last one from that day shows the one thing that made it all worth while! THis was right in front of me...they were piping the smell right in my face. I made it till 10:30am when I finally bought a big bag! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2004/15050-corn.jpg

This next photo is from last weekend at OCean Park. I know it looks lovely here and some of the day it was. But most of the day it was either raining or blowing or blowing rain into the tent. Oh well! And...most importantly for those who have followed my paintings....if you look on the left in the background, right across the street from the art show, there is the infamous red banner at the OCean Park Ice Cream Parlor! That's why the paintings I have done of it are such a big hit!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2004/15050-op_with_banner.jpg

:D

Sandy

Dark_Shades
07-09-2004, 05:03 PM
I think it all looks wonderful ..... love all the little tents..... you have a great display..... Everything is laid out so nicely.... all looks very professional ....... am so pleased its not only here that it Rains :) lol ..... I enjoyed looking at this.... thanks for sharing....

Deborah Secor
07-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Brought back a lot of memories for me--I've spent my fair share of time in tents like this, with and without rain! They look like a very cute spots for shows, and no doubt the weather has an effect. You did all right, considering ...

Ah ha-- the infamous ice cream shop red banner--no wonder! ;)

Deborah

meowmeow
07-09-2004, 07:49 PM
the infamous ice cream shop red banner

Yep! The one that causes me all those compositionally challenged paintings! :D

Dyin
07-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks for sharing Sandy! Despite the rain it all looks neat...especially the ice cream shoppe that you've made famous on WC!!! And your set up looked real nice and professional. Too bad we couldn't get a shot of you accepting the purchase prize :D

Kathryn Wilson
07-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Yeah, Sandy - where's the shot of you and the ribbon! Your tent looks wonderful and I even recognized some of the paintings - LOL

Thanks for sharing - it's nice to see a tentful of pastels!

:clap:

Khadres
07-10-2004, 02:50 AM
Wow, looks like you had a wonderful display! Is that your own tent and all? How expensive is all that stuff? LOL I come from the ancient pegboard out in the open days and devil take the hindmost when the bad weather showed up!

meowmeow
07-10-2004, 11:27 AM
THe ribbon is hanging on my bulletin board! :D It's just a simple little ribbon...but it looks good there.

I got the whole tent set up from BJ's (and I think Sam's Club sells them too). I think it's a great deal. It was $199 for the EZup with 4 sides and the sand bags and the carrying case on wheels. It takes hubby and me about 5 minutes to set it up now. I got the mesh panels from Graphic Dimensions (or something...is that the frame place..well, it is graphic something :D)...the were $65 each and I got 4. It was a lot to lay out but I did get it all back the first summer. And the panels are great. They sit up instantly and I feel very secure with them, that they will not blow over...I hope! It looks professional and works well and easily. I can't ask for more!

s.

bnoonan
07-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Sandy - well done and thanks for sharing. I love seeing photos of shows in progress and hearing about the wind the rain and the wind just makes me shudder. My sister wants me to go to Maine again this summer and do the Peaks Island show in August and the thought of the rain/humidity and wind is deterring at best. But that's why we love Maine - wait a minute & the weather is different.

I know about those easy set up tents and have to say it was brilliant for Sam's club to offer them. Many artists I know invested in them for such occasions.

By the way - your display looks great - not too crowded and very inviting.

Cheers!!! Barb

Mo.
07-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Sandy, these are great pics, your set up looks very professional, your paintings look so lovely in their frames too...did you frame them yourself?
I know what it's like to set up for these kind of shows, have done a few in the past, but thankfully didn't have to provide my own tent and display area, from the posts I've read you obviously won a prize, I've missed that piece of excellent news somewhere, so many congratulations to you. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mo.:)

meowmeow
07-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks Barb! And Mo! It's good to see you! I miss you!
I do the framing myself and the matting unless it is too large for my mat cutter (anything over 11x14 I take in and have it done)...but I do try to keep things to a standard size and then buy good quality, acid free, ready made mats.
Thanks again!

judwal
07-11-2004, 09:57 PM
This was very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to do this some day.

CarlyHardy
07-12-2004, 01:19 AM
Thanks for sharing Sandy! Seeing all your pics really brings back some memories for me too :)

I remember my very first outside art show....I wasn't painting back then, but my best friend was and she invited me to attend a Saturday show with her...small town with court square. We arrived early and unloaded her "homemade" set up to hang the art on. It took both of us to carry the panels that were to forum a tepee shape up a hill! and across the lawn to our spot. What she hadn't figured on was setting up on the side of a hill....LOL so our tepee sort of tilted a bit. I noticed that folks were giving us some strange stares...but what did I know!! We proceeded to hang paintings up the sides of the panels but about the time we got to the top with paintings...the entire thing began to tilt more than we could hold on to....and you guessed it, the entire thing fell over making a really loud smash on the ground. At the same time everyone on all sides of us moved their setups about ten feet further away from us....LOL!! We got out hammer and nails and some extra boards and put it all back up and even sold a couple of paintings that day.

I can remember laughing so hard that I cried when the whole thing fell over. Barbara and I had several adventures like that with her art! And I thought it was some of the best fun ever :D The next summer, she got me to take an oil painting workshop from her....and the rest is history :)

Ah...the memories :D
carly

jackiesimmonds
07-12-2004, 10:39 AM
well done Sandy, I really admire you and everyone else who does these shows in the wind and rain! I have only done one in a tent of any kind, that was the Hampton Court Flower show, and I was in a big marquee, not quite the same really, but oh boy was it HOT, HOT HOT, and that is just as bad as wind and rain, believe me, I nearly collapsed with heat stroke every day. Also, I got bitten on the leg by something nasty that came on a tropical plant, my leg swelled up like a balloon, and that wasn't much fun, I can tell you, I had to sit with my leg up most of the time! Got some sympathy mind you.

Reading your story, and Carly's, has made me realise my big mistake when I do these things...I don't have help. In fact, I am cancelling one I have booked for October, because I cannot find anyone to help. It is great that your hubby helps you, mine is never available.

I hope you sold lots, good on you, you deserve it.

Jackie

UK agent for Kitty Wallis papers.

meowmeow
07-12-2004, 11:16 AM
It's a toss up which is worse, heat or wet. Last summer we had terrible heat. One artist was sitting outside her booth when someone noticed she was not moving. She had in fact passed out!!! After that one of the organizers made a point of going around and handing out water.
Hubby helps me set up and take down. He can't wait to get out of there in between! He is a big help and if I insisted he would stay but it is a long day. It is hard being there alone all day. He comes back at lunch time and everyone watches out for each other if you have to make a porta-potti break, but the day can drag on and on. I do try to sneak off and look at other people's work, though. That's part of the fun.

I'm glad to help with your memories, Carly! :D Good for you for being able to laugh at that. Apparently a woman at the "really wet" show had a home made set up that kept collapsing and they said she just sat down and cried! I don't think she ever got it set up properly. I had heard too many horror stories ahead of time and felt it was worth it to invest in the equipment if I were going to do it. I wasn't really that much in the end. But, I know some people just can't afford it. And some of the home made set ups do work.