PDA

View Full Version : Re-introducing myself

crumbedbrains
07-09-2004, 04:32 AM
Hey everyone,
It's been a while since I've been here . . . used to be a regular but things seemed to have changed a lot 'round here so I feel like a newbie. Unfortunately I was preoccupied with my wife's battle with cancer which, sadly, she lost three months ago. Haven't picked up a pastel stick for eight months now and this is my first attempt back . .felt absolutley awful walking up to a blank easel after so long and then when I actually tried to paint . .ACK!! . .things just wouldn't go my way . . I could feel I was rushing things and so I'm not really happy with this one but, hey, I kept telling myself it's a start . . . at least I'm painting again. I normally do wildlife but this has been kicking around in my head for a while now . .inspired by Andrew Hemingway who's done similar (but better) still lives.
Glad to be back :)
Crumby

Khadres
07-09-2004, 05:52 AM
Wow! And you're unhappy with this??? I love the rich, rich colors against the dark background! I know how it is to try and get back into the painting habit after awhile away. Just keep doing a little something each day if you can.

My condolences over the loss of your wife! I know that must be devastating to you and your family. This is a good place to hang out when things in life get us down, though. Keep sharing your work with us; we're all here to cheer you on. Painting is great therapy in times of trouble. I've learned that from experience! Again, my thoughts are with you.

Dark_Shades
07-09-2004, 08:00 AM
No need for re-introductions here Crumby :) ..... You and your work could never be forgotten ............ believe me you and your wife have been in my thoughts, and wasnt sure if to contact you or not....... I Am So Sorry to hear of you and your family's Loss

Crumby..... this is a beautiful piece..... love it :clap: .. welcome back my friend...... and what an entrance.... colours, comp... subject matter... all wonderful....... love the clear plastic :clap: .... remember the sketchy one you did too....... surely cant get much better than this

hey, by the way, someone gave me a couple of pastel journals (never had them before) ..... and low n behold there you were with your duckies and elephant etc :D

judwal
07-09-2004, 08:25 AM
My sincere condolences for the loss you have suffered. I can certainly understand how you've been unable to paint for the last few months but now that you've started again you are doing an amazing job with those oranges. Good for you and I'm glad that you dropped in here for a visit. Drop by more often if you need a little support from time to time. These people are just terrific and so supportive as you well know from your past experiences in here.

E-J
07-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Crumby, you need no reintroduction here - you're one of the stars of our forum and have been much missed.

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news and it's upsetting even to imagine how difficult these past few months must have been for you.

It is good that you're painting again. This is a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL painting :)

((HUGS))

Kathryn Wilson
07-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Crumby, you've been sorely missed - your paintings have always been a joy to see and I am so glad that you are picking up the pastels again.

Life does send us some blows and I am deeply saddened by your loss - please know that we are here for you and hope you will visit us in the weekly scumble to share your thoughts if need be.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}} Kat

purplelizard
07-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Welcome back - I don't know you (yet), but your your is BREATH-TAKING! I gasped when I looked at your painting - the colors are so rich and there's this wonderful dramatic light and reflection - oooooh, I love it!

My deepest sympathies on your loss. It must be very difficult for you and your family. I'm fairly new around here, and I've discovered that these folks are absolutely awesome, in good times and bad. Please keep posting and sharing your work. Its good for your soul - its very healing.

My prayers and blessings to you - Kristen

Nicolart
07-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi Tom :)

I am so very sorry to hear about your loss :crying: I think getting back to your art is awesome :clap: ... Art is very healing :)

WOW!!! :clap: That painting is MAGNIFICIENT Tom! :eek: It is astonishingly captivating... That is so beautiful...

Take Great Care Tom,
Nicole

Dyin
07-09-2004, 10:19 AM
No re-introduction necessary...so sorry for your loss. Your work has always been inspiring for me and this is really wonderful. Everything is fabulous on here...I seem to remember you experimenting with plastic wrap...you did great with it. The reflections are awesome and I love that it's all got that fabulous dark background. The color just seems to bounce off it just like in real life. It's good to have you back...hope you paint lots more, because your work is fantabulous. :)

Deborah Secor
07-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Tom, I've been hoping to see you in here again. Glad to have you back, contributing your wonderful work to the forum. You continue in my prayers.

This is only slightly gorgeous! Andrew Hemingway--only the best to emulate. I think soon you'll be getting $100,000 for your paintings, too, at this rate. Tell us the details of this. What paper (tell me it's not Canson... :rolleyes: ) and size is it?

I hope you'll become a 'regular' again! We've missed having your input here.

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
07-09-2004, 11:10 AM
What breath taking, awe inspiring work! ! !

I am so sorry for the loss of your wife. I know you will find some solace in your art, being here with your old friends, and making new ones, such as myself.

DFGray
07-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi Crumby
sorry to hear of your loss
hope you can find comfort being back with your art.
regards
Dan

SweetBabyJ
07-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi Crumby, my condolences on your loss; this is such a difficult time in your life. One day- sometimes one moment- at a time is the only way to handle it and not break under the weight. Hope you can allow the memories of your wife's support to help you return to art; and that you heal now.

chookbrown
07-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Hey T,

This turned out great! :clap: I like this composition better than the first time I saw it. It does take a while to get back into it doesn't it. Like I've said before, one step at a time. So what's next?? Show me the kombi!!! :evil:

Chooky :D

Mo.
07-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi Sir Crumb!! Wonderful to see you and your unique and fabulous work here once again. I anticipate....More , more and lots more, to feast my eyes on.

((((hugs))))

Mo.

Pinecone Conniff
07-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Wow!!! What a re-entry you have made!...Your painting is amazing! Please give us details as to size, paper, your set-up etc...
I hope you can feel your wife's spirit all around you...your art will help mend the hole in your heart...
Annette

Kitty Wallis
07-10-2004, 03:38 AM
What a beautiful piece! Thank you for posting this.

It takes courage to come back after the blow you've suffered. And courage to re-enter your work. And to produce such a fine piece!

jackiesimmonds
07-10-2004, 03:50 AM
on line again at last...sent you three posts yesterday and none of them arrived.

Really missed you here Crumby, and so sorry to hear why you've been away. I am sending you a big cyberhug, tho it's not much consolation.

When I went thro something similar a while ago, I threw myself into my work - it helped. Just be patient if you do not see the merit in what you do right now, it's deserved, believe me, just put the piece to one side and look at it later. Talent like yours will always be with you, even when life deals you a rotten blow like this.
Time heals. Your life was richer for knowing your wife, and will always be so. Ask for help when you feel you need it, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

I wish you strength.

take care.
Jackie

cjkelly
07-10-2004, 03:59 AM
Tom, so pleased to see you back, and I am sorry for the loss of your wife.
I think you are brave, and your satisfaction with your work will surely follow your desire to paint.
You have been missed and I, and everyone else it seems, look forward to having you back in the threads.

(((hugs)))

cj

crumbedbrains
07-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome!! . . . so nice to be back.
OK some details:

I use stonehenge paper (no it's not Canson Dee!!) but do an underpainting of indian inks first. That is, I stretch the paper like watercolourists do then tint the paper using indian inks . . the reason I do this is that I have never like the tints available in standard papers (eg Canson) . .they never seem rich enough for me . . mid tones just don't do it for me.

The size of the painting is about 3/4 of a stonehenge sheet (which is about the same size as a Canson sheet). If that doesn't help . . .the oranges are about life size.

Pastels used are a mixture of Windsor Newton's (soft) and Faber Castell's (semi-hard) . .oh . . and my one and only Schminke pastel is white which I use last for the brightest of highlights.

Thanks again for looking
Crumby :)

Charles Perera
08-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Reviving the memory of a great artist, who we have not seen posting for a long time.

Charles

*Violet*
08-07-2006, 03:34 PM
so sorry to read of your loss ... and so glad to read that you're back at the easel ... your painting is breathtakingly fabulous ... i hope you keep there and keep producing such wonderful works ... hopefully just being there though will help with the processing of everything that you must ...

angecald
08-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Crumby, I'm sorry you've had such a bad time. Illness and loss certainly do suck the creativity out of us. It's a joy to see you here, and even if you feel a little rusty, the work doesn't show it. Are you familiar with the Canadian painter, Mary Pratt? She loves to paint still life with plastic and foil.

maddy777
08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Hi Crumby I'm Mads, Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope getting back to your art helps with the healing :)

Gorgeous piece of work I think, even if you're not happy with it :D

Winny Kerr
08-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi Tom,
I am a newby too and wanted to say what an incredibly lovely painting you did. The colours are so vibrant and one can just feel that water, so cool. It is beautiful and look forward to seeing more of your work.
You are in my prayers too for the loss of your loved one.
Winny

Netty
08-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Your work is absolutely gorgeous!!!
Bless you Crumby, being creative is a great way for the heart to heal!
I know.....
Netty :)

Dea
08-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Ditto to everything said already, nice to see you back and the painting, wow! what more can I say,
Deanna.

beebluefern
08-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Hello Tom, I'm new here and have not seen your work previously, although now, I'll be looking forward to seeing all your posts. This is just magnificent!

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and my deepest sympathies are with you.
Sending prayers that you will continue to find fulfillment and joy in your art-you are bringing much joy to many by posting your work here.

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Just to alert you all - that artist has not posted since 2004, so not sure if he is going to see your messages.

Darkflower
08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
I am so deeply sorry about your loss...your painting is just beautiful, that exquisite deep blue!!! I think it is a very good thing you have turned to your pastels again, thanks for posting this lovely work!

chewie
08-09-2006, 06:05 PM
i too am sorry to hear of your loss, how difficult things must have been for you, and i am sure you still have 'days'. but i also bet your art will help see you thru. and this is a fine example, very fine!