Title: Yellow Tree
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 22 x 28 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Chapter 2 .. Continured from Beach Front

I set out to do the second piece and to my surprise it was a complete failure; not as a painting but in respect of what I did in comparison to what I wanted to do. I was having trouble so I decided I would use my knife as it was dependable. It was a big mistake as the knife brought itís associated body memories and I ended up with a very impressionistic piece. It was not a bad piece but it was old style and not where I had intended on going. I added it to the drying rack and then pulled out another piece of board. Again I went with the 22 x 28 format, as I wanted to work a little larger.

This piece came off well. I made a concentrated effort to be painterly in approach and I think I did succeed. I was pleased with the results. I pulled the first piece off the rack and set them side by side. Oh yea, no comparison; the old impressionistic piece was stiff and the new expressionistic piece was moving and in harmony. I pulled out my knife and I scraped back the first version. It didnít deserve to live.

I was on fire with desire now and so I decided to paint another version of the Beachfront but this time with more passion of expression. I painted it and it came off well. I was happy with it as well. That was 3 pieces of 22 x 28 painted in one day and the day was not over but I was spent. I packed it up knowing I would be back tomorrow armed with a better knowledge than today. I was excited.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
??

Artistanne
07-08-2004, 10:59 PM
I have no critique, I just love your work. :)

Moosehead
07-09-2004, 12:22 AM
It's good to see you posting again Wayne. Your recent work has a real life to it. Your style has definitely evolved. It's become quite unique (in a good way). I'm almost seeing crystaline forms in your landscapes. Coupled with your excellent use of light, it makes these paintings almost shimmer. I really like these two. I still think I see a bit of Lawren Harris influence. He's one of my favourites. Are you a fan of his work?

Michael-Ann
07-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Wayne this direction is a very good one too :) I really like the contrast in the Yellow tree. The "slimming down" of the evergreen in the second worked out perfect, you captured some great depth in this also.

Spyderbabe
07-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Hey Wayne - I'm enjoying your journal' entires... thanks for sharing with us. The process is key. And it's encouraging to us to see we're not sturggling alone. Like this yellow tree... contrasts sing.
Kathleen

NHyde
07-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Neato! The yellow tree painting almost looks refracted - as though viewing it through a kaleidoscope or stained glass. Wonderful effect, Wayne!

Cheers,
Nicole

SMViolano
07-09-2004, 02:36 PM
I am always amazed at how much detail you add using broad, free-flowing brushwork.

Beautiful!

Gilberte
07-09-2004, 02:47 PM
You succeeded in passion and expression ! Give us more ...

Wayne Gaudon
07-10-2004, 10:45 AM
thanks all

.. next chapter we'll visit a few smaller ones .. good, bad, and ugly or maybe even downright miserable .. :D .. probably get to the photos tomorrow.

Rabbit Twilight
07-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Wayne....that yellow tree painting is like a stained glass window full of light. Just beautiful!

haaf
07-10-2004, 02:32 PM
number one splashes of the screen, thanks I'll send you the drycleaner bill.
Caroline ;)

stephanf
07-10-2004, 03:54 PM
1st one cubismn....2nd is alive

Wayne Gaudon
07-12-2004, 09:40 AM
thank you all ...