View Full Version : Northlight bookclub

Cheena K
07-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Has anyone heard of this website?
https://www.northlightbookclub.com/

Just curious! Is it worth joining?

Dyin
07-08-2004, 11:24 AM
it's on my to do list when I get money...I've heard some raves about it on here...good choices, good prices...am sure others can tell you more.

Khadres
07-08-2004, 11:36 AM
I belong to it. It's an okay book club, nothing to brag about really. The prices are higher than I can find stuff elsewhere on the net, but you can "earn" free books if you buy enough. There's just very little in the way of pastel books there. The vast majority of the titles are for watercolor this watercolor that, and altho one can apply some of the watercolor techniques to any art, it kinda irks me that the art book industry seems to think watercolor is the only major medium they need worry about. Either that or there just aren't enough folks writing about all the other media.

I do like that you can accept or refuse monthly selections online and order online, as well. I always HATED having to mail back forms...it takes longer and the postage is nothing to sneeze at these days. Oh, and GETTING what you order takes forever, no matter how you do it. Often, when I've ordered something, I've completely forgotten about it by the time it arrives.

All that being said, if you don't have access to bookstores carrying art topics locally, it's a good way to expand your library. I wouldn't say it's cheap and I wouldn't order anything I needed right away.

llis
07-08-2004, 12:11 PM
I've been a member of Nothlight bookclub for at least 15 years. They have always been great to me and now I use their on line resources to order my books. I've also found that some of the books I have on my self have gotten to be quite the collector items.

Not only that.....

They support WetCanvas with banner advertising. Let's support them as they help these message boards continue to be the valuable on line resource it is! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2004/11-NLBC-44449-BANNER.1 (http://www.northlightbookclub.com )

This banner is clickable to their site. :)

marshallgh
07-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Cheena,
I have belonged for about 9 months and have been very satisfied.
I have found their prices to be cheaper since I purchase a lot of items when they are on sale. AND if you pay with a debit card when placing the order, shipping is FREE. Even when I buy used art books for a cheap price on amazon.com I still have to pay for shipping...which means the price for a used book is usually the same or more than a new one from northlightbookclub.
Plus they occassionally have promotional items. I received a free fanny pack thing. I now use it for a travel watercolor kit. I have it loaded with a folding pallette (with dried watercolors), a small spiral bound pad of WC paper, extra tubes of paint, two toothbrush holders to hold/protect my brushes, a set of drawing/sketching pencils, and a small spiral bound field sketch book. I have seen a similar fanny pack in the Blick catalogue.
Currently I am waiting for two recent purchases from them. The first is a book on portrait painting by Sanden, and the second item is an item I purchased with bonus points (that means FREE)... Virtual Pose 3. I am very excited about virtual pose since it has a CD with figures posing, but the neat thing is that you can rotate the pose 360 degrees to get the angle you want for your drawing/painting. This is a lot cheaper that hiring a model or taking a figure drawing class.
Terry
PS a couple of weeks ago I received the Encylopedia of Pastel techniques. This is a very nice addition to my art library.

meowmeow
07-08-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm going to second what Marsha and Ilis have said. My only complaint is the lack of many pastel books but there are some and there are also many good, basic reference books having to do with landscape painting, composition and color, among other things.
When you sign up you get a really good deal and you have to consider that when paying whatever other books cost. Plus you don't have to buy anything and the shipping is free if you use a credit card.
Although I do wish there were more pastel books, if anything, I usually have to talk myself out of getting more stuff than I do.
I would try it. You really have little to lose because the initial deal is excellent and if you never see anything else you don't have to get anything.

Sandy

Kitty Wallis
07-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Since I'm forgetful about sending back forms to halt mailings I dont want, I was annoyed often by the $$ and hassle returning books that came unwanted.

I was a member for 2-3 years when I decided to either unsubscribe or get the catalog without the sales gimmick. They agreed to take me off the list of people they mail books by ommission. That has worked out well.

Khadres
07-08-2004, 10:35 PM
The new online ordering system, etc. is a great deal better than the old style, for sure. And I appreciate their support for WC! I just haven't found anything further to order from them in months and I hate the long delay in shipments. Otherwise, they're pretty okay, and let's face it, there isn't many other clubs of that type around.

No reason NOT to try it...you may be the type that orders everything in sight, in which case, you'll be very happy indeed! I think the free shipping thing is the main thing that keeps me in....that plus the hope that a new pastel related title might come out next month. :D

CarlyHardy
07-08-2004, 10:47 PM
I've been a member off and on for many years. Traveling at times made if difficult to keep their cards sent back in time....but any book that I received that I didn't order, I just handed back to the mail lady and returned it without a problem. You can do that as long as you don't open the package.

I agree about the shortage of pastel related books, but there are a lot of others that would meet the need of any artist and sometimes I've learned a lot about art from a book focused on a medium that I had never tried. Gave me an interest to check out, too.

carly

jackiesimmonds
07-09-2004, 03:20 AM
I'm going to second what Marsha and Ilis have said. My only complaint is the lack of many pastel books but there are some ....Although I do wish there were more pastel books, .

Sandy

Ok now I am curious. I was under the impression that the recent reprint of my book PASTELS WORKSHOP had been accepted by North Light = at last. When the book first came out, they refused it, because their senior purchasing person was someone who had written a pastel book, and I suspect she did not want her sales watered down by my book!

However, HarperCollins told me that North Light had now accepted the book. Can anyone who is a member tell me if it is on their lists? I would be most grateful.

Jackie

Khadres
07-09-2004, 06:39 AM
Collins Painting Workshop: Pastels
Jackie Simmonds $16.95

Is that the one you mean, Jackie? They do offer that one and I think I got it from North Light myself. Too bad they don't offer your videos and the gardens book, too! Of the 16 pastel titles (out of probably at least 100 total of various topics), Barry Watkins seems to be the only one with videos on offer except for one on figures by Tom Coates.

Cheena K
07-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the info!!!

I guess I'll give it a shot...they are offering 4 books for 15$, but the membership is only for US citizens :(

Can someone suggest the 4 best books just in case I signup...I'll have to get them shipped to a friend in US, so it will be a long time till I actually get to see them...but if it's worth it I'll go for it :)

Khadres
07-12-2004, 03:47 AM
Thanks for all the info!!!

I guess I'll give it a shot...they are offering 4 books for 15$, but the membership is only for US citizens :(

Can someone suggest the 4 best books just in case I signup...I'll have to get them shipped to a friend in US, so it will be a long time till I actually get to see them...but if it's worth it I'll go for it :)

Definitely get Jackie's book, Cheena! That Encyclopedia of Pastel Techniques is great too. Enjoy!

chewie
07-16-2004, 11:49 AM
i finally found an 800# for northlight, and that is very helpful. i asked to be put on the 'don't send automaticly' list, and now, unless i send the card back , i will not receive the book of the month. very handy for a procratinating forgetful person like me! i have increased my library alot thru this club however, and if i really dont' like a book, they are great at taking it back to replace with another of my choosing. i do admit that the pastel selection is poor, but i like getting books iwth various meduims too, so that's not such a problem for me. i got 'creative painting with pastel' as one of my first books years ago, and i think it was a super one to start with. harley brown's book is also one of my favs., as is eliz. mowery and this newer one (not pastel)14 fab. landscapes. and if by chance you get a book and either didn't want it in the first place, or just don't like it, if you open the package carefully, you can glue it shut again and simply write 'refused' on it, and it won't cost you to send it back. hope you enjoy the books you choose!

chookbrown
07-22-2004, 10:36 PM
I have been a member for several years and love it. I can nearly always find what I want and have received many free books by using my member points. I log on to the site to refuse or accept the book of the month instead of mailing back the cards as I always forgot. This option may help those of you who travel if you have a computer handy.

Chooky :D