Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 50 cm X 40 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My first try at portraits.
Just let it go and flow.
Had fun doing it, worked on it till midnight.
My daughters differ in their opinions, that's good.
Caroline

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything

Michael-Ann
07-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Caroline and so you instantaneously (okay, overnight?) find something - a "delivery" for this portrait - that is unique, charged, and interestingly all your own. This is wonderful in so many ways, style, color, personality, such enthusiasm you have captured in these two shining faces.

NHyde
07-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Geez Caroline, one would never know it's your first portrait. You've captured such delightful expression and the texture - oooooh la la!

Congratulations!

Cheers eh,
Nicole

Dana Design
07-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Dear Caroline, I hate you! :evil: :D ;)

Your FIRST portrait? This is so good, so painterly, daring with style and I love it. The close-up is deliciously juicy with paint. Wonderful!

Pretty daughters, also!

shirleyq
07-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Ditto, ditto and ditto :D

Spyderbabe
07-08-2004, 04:33 PM
I think its wonderful Caroline, but I'm curious as to what the girl's opinions are.

Gilberte
07-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Congrats Caroline. First try at portraiture ? Unbelievable ...
I love the thick paint and brushstrokes.
It looks much bigger than 5O x 4O cms.
Without endagering the painterly style are you considering defining the gaps between the teeth ?
The left girl's eyes look different one from the other.

Sigh ......... who am I to critique ?
Tot later !

haaf
07-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Michael Ann.. thank you for your nice great words, I'm happy with the outcome for sure. I tried to think in shapes and the colorchoices came from within.And kept on looking for colorconnections. I realised that if you stick to that it doesn't matter if you paint a cup, a sheep or people. Although a sheep will never comment about her likeness. I've learned so much over the last half year here, just great!
Nicole..thanks, yes the first, and something I was really afraid of, again as above mentioned it's painting what you see and not what you think you see, I quess. The texture in the paint , that's somewhat new to me too it comes with the more loose approach.
Dana.. thanks again for the fanmail :D , in reality they are much prettier I must admit (what's reality?...last night it was my painting).
Shirley..thanks for all the ditto's, and take care.
Spyderbabe..thanks, Lotte, my beautiful almost 15 years old, wants to see a painting or a photograph were her looks are matching reality or (even more appreaciated) enhanced. That's obviously not the case in this painting, where I aimed to capture the connection between them two and their
lust for life. Lotte says she appreciates this style but not in portraits of her.Maartje, just twelve years old, beautiful however doesn't realises that yet, likes to walk the "off-beat" path and is always looking how things can be approached in another way than the general to-be-expected. So she likes this outcome better and determines this as a non-boring painting.
Gilberte.. dankuwel , jij bent de meest trouwe kritieker hier geloof ik!
I agree on the shape of the eye, will fix that tommorrow, as for the teeth, I almost never like it when the teeth are individually defined, looks kind of creepy. Paid enough orthodontist treatment bills to leave them this pristine I think.
It's late again here now...12.30 midnight
good night
Caroline ;)

coulter
07-09-2004, 08:31 AM
The joy of life comes through!!!

Mark