PDA

View Full Version : The Ghost Horse

Dana Design
07-06-2004, 03:26 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-06-2004/29065_The-White-Horse1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Ghost Horse
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Trepidatiously attempting to paint again.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All crits or comments welcomed. And, thanks!

Gilberte
07-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Trepidatiously (repeated it 3 times to exercise the pronounciation) ...

The horse looks as if it was waiting for you impatiently to be ... painted !
The white has a great effect !

cotopaxi_annie
07-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Gilberte,

You are a really busy painter. Where do you find the time? I love your horse. I tried to add an attachment of our old (32years) white horse but it didn't work.

I just found out that my attachment is to large to add. I will put it the the photo reference section of Wet Canvas. Take a look.

Annie

Gilberte
07-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Annie,
It's Dana's painting ;)

Did you try the uploader ? You can find it scrolling down the quick links, it's the copy and paste thing. Just make sure the picture has the right size and the cursor is in the reply section ......

Artistanne
07-06-2004, 06:07 PM
I really like the strong verticals you have going in this. The only suggestion I might make is to faintly add in the horse's hind legs in the shadow of the stall opening--right now I get the feeling he is going to tip forward or something because he's not anchored to the ground in the back.

I like the mysterious feeling this one has. ;)

Michael-Ann
07-06-2004, 08:17 PM
I have the upmost admiration for a horse painter - the white horse is perfect, no other color would have worked so well.

CeCe
07-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Hi Dana:
I really like this but I have a question. The horse looks like the two front feed are in line with each other but the back seems angled. I am not sure if it is just me in the way I am looking at it?

SilverLady
07-06-2004, 09:15 PM
His neck is too short? I lifted it? Too wide I made it narrower?
Made his head and feet more to the right so his body has more room to fade out.
I put a mark where you could paint a faint leg or two.
Make the feet turn a little as the two front feet are straight forward, but the body is turned.
Make his right shoulder smaller.
Move the wall on the left farther to the left and then the horse has more room to fade out.
That would be the easiest way to correct.

Silverlady

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2004/18220-29065_The-White-Horse1.jpg

Dana Design
07-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks everybody for your suggestions! All very valid. I'm not finished with this, still have lots more to paint but I wanted to post it to see where I'm messing it up.

I'll post again when completely finished.

haaf
07-07-2004, 09:45 AM
healthy approach? where I'm messing it up?
come on Dana! YII HAAAW
Caroline ;)

artbabe21
07-07-2004, 11:30 AM
With all due respect, the photoshop version makes the poor horse look like he has missed his oats for a few weeks...I like it as it is with some suggestion of back legs IF that can be done. You're doing fine...remember it's just like riding a horse...LOL...sorry I couldn't resist! :)

Dana Design
07-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Cath, you have me ROFL again!

Here's the finished version. Horses are odd creatures to paint. I've been studying pics of them and no two seem to be alike. This one sure isn't a race horse.

Anyway........I like him. Still, any crits and comments welcome.

SilverLady
07-07-2004, 02:22 PM
An improvement.
Looks good.
Silverlady

artbabe21
07-07-2004, 03:13 PM
I LOVE those perky ears! We used to have 6 of these critters til I found out they were expensive pets! :crying:

Anyway this is looking very fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

cotopaxi_annie
07-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi There!

I am almost embarrased to add a note considering I got confused and thought that your horse was Gilberte's. At any rate, he turned out really nice. I just wanted to add that I liked the kind of wavy quality of the entire painting (or is it my eyesight?). It added to the feel of the painting. Have you seen the paintings that are done on wavy tin sheets? I guess that they are more of a craft type of thing than fine art but I think that your horse would look cute on one of those too. Just my, Texas roots showing.

Good Job!

Annie

Dana Design
07-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Ok, so I'm not *really* finished. Where's that guy with the "finished!!" 2by4 when I need him.

Caroline, you crack me up! Come sit beside me!

Annie, yep! It's your eyes. (just kidding :p ) I tried to go into this with a "soft" approach as I didn't want 100% realism.

ACtually, there is alot more color in this painting than shows on the screen. I'll try to do something about that next time.

Thanks again, everyone!