PDA

View Full Version : A couple of pieces from the archives

LEIGH RUST
07-06-2004, 06:30 AM
A couple more pieces from my archives. The first is a pastel work titled Sunset Study. I found the reference while flipping through my best friend's photo album. The colours and intensity just mesmerized me. I begged her to let me paint it and she was kind enough to allow me the privelige. The darks were done with Art Spectrum Flinders Blue Violet. This was the first painting I framed and also the first one I sold. The frame was a rich mahogany with gold inlay and a deep blue violet mat.
The second piece is New Year's Day, Gunnamatta. I spent the entire day with a fellow artist on the Gunnamatta Ocean Beach on one of the hottest days of the year. The next day I was overcome by sun stroke and bedridden for days. I really love the colours that I saw that day. I hope you all like them. Best of luck on your future works.
Meanwhile I'll keep my nose to the grindstone working on my latest panorama of Kilcunda, near Phillip Island in Victoria.

anney
07-06-2004, 06:41 AM
Colourful indeed, they deserved to go out of the archives...

Are they both pastels? Which size?

I look forward seing your panorama of Kilcunda.

Anne

LEIGH RUST
07-06-2004, 07:14 AM
Thanks Anne. They're both soft pastels, mainly Art Spectrum and Winsor and Newtons. Sunset Study was 300mm x 400mm watercolour paper. I thought my heart was going out explode when i saw the red dot on it!
New Year's Day is 350mm x 500mm on Colourfix paper. At this point its' still looking for its' new home.
The Kilcunda panorama is progressing beautifully. It's 220mm x 1200mm on MDF board primed with colourfix primer and acrylics. I'm hoping to post the WIP soon.

Moosehead
07-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Both are fantastic.

Regina McMullan
07-06-2004, 01:19 PM
New Year's Day is my favorite, though they are both great. Wonderful colors. They could be photographs except they have too much spirit.

Marty C
07-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Hi Leigh,
Excellent work on both of these, the blues in the Gunnamatta work are terrific, very summer. You like putting you life on the line for your art! Cover up in that sun. :D
I know all these areas very well, grew up in Vic and surfed the East coast heaps. Later my brother and a friend and I rented a house down at Phillip Island and spent every spare second there, so I'm really interested to see your Kilcunda work.
Great to see such wonderful work posted here.

LEIGH RUST
07-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Thanks Marty. I'm glad you liked these pieces. I've got heaps more up my sleeve :) The Kilcunda panorama is coming along slowly, just waiting on some new photos so I can post it as a WIP. I hope it lives up to your memories of the place. Phillip island is one of my favourite places, I just don't get down there nearly as much as I'd like to.

Regina, you are too kind. I feel very humbled by your comments. Thankyou.

It's been an incredibly productive week. I managed to get heaps finished, a few pieces that had been neglected for a little while and a new seascape too. I received my membership papers for the Wildlife Artists Society of Australasia, possibly found myself a new gallery(fingers crossed!!!), and got my entries for the Australian Artist Seascape challenge sent off.

Here's the newest piece to escape my drawing board...

anney
07-09-2004, 11:13 AM
I received my membership papers for the Wildlife Artists Society of Australasia, possibly found myself a new gallery(fingers crossed!!!), and got my entries for the Australian Artist Seascape challenge sent off....
Sounds like good news!

Here's the newest piece to escape my drawing board...
I would love to see some closed-up...

Anne

MAKinnear
07-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Hello,

You are some colourist - saturated colours like these take courage to use, but the fidelity of your draftmanship makes them work extremely well. Very nice work indeed, like to see bigger images to better appreciate the detail on the shoreline.

Mart

LEIGH RUST
07-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Mart thanks for the praise!!!

Anne, heres another piece, along with some close ups to show you the details.
This is London Bridge Vista, pastel on colourfix paper 650mm x 220mm