PDA

View Full Version : reclining nude

Joe Steiner
07-05-2004, 12:47 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-05-2004/45020_reclining_nude.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: reclining nude
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
painted from life with a interest in point of view,and texture.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
all comments and critiques welcome

Londondeon
07-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Skin tones are great and the shapes of the body are modeled well. The hues tend to make the whole painting appear cold (altho this could be the tone created by the digital photo). I would like to see it a little warmer. Paint of the drape folds are impressive. The breasts however, seem odd to me. Since the rest is modeled so well, they must have had that appearance, but it does not seem natural for some reason. A little too much like bull's eyes. Maybe just darkening the value a little bit.

Overall, Great!
Londondeon

Michael-Ann
07-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Unique perspective...body language suggests she may be uncomfortable, and/or cold perhaps :) I like your work... I have never been to a live model sitting...is it typical to have a matress on the floor? The starkness of this is intreguing. It would be nice to hear your thoughts.

Gilberte
07-05-2004, 03:21 PM
I see an influence here ... am I right ... ? Lucian Freud inspired ? The fabric and folds, the position of the model but a cooler palette...
You did great here especially on the point of view ...
I have the greatest admiration for "nude" painters ...

haaf
07-05-2004, 04:44 PM
I like the placements of the objects.
The division of colors and different textures.
Caroline ;)

artbabe21
07-05-2004, 04:59 PM
This is superb work....though I agree with warming it up!! I think the breasts look natural... if a woman were pusing her arms together that way...all breasts are different...lol...sure think it's a natural pose for a modest model.

Philippe
07-05-2004, 05:01 PM
HI Joe
I immediately visited your site and I think this is a great piece.
Yes Giberte I see Lucian Freud allso, but it is well done.
Ther is noting wrong with the breasts: they are pushed up by her arms, and for the ignorant : breastskin is mostly whiter then other skin.
I like the coolness, distant approach of it.
Was it from live model????
Anyhow GREAT work
Philippe

Joe Steiner
07-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Unique perspective...body language suggests she may be uncomfortable, and/or cold perhaps :) I like your work... I have never been to a live model sitting...is it typical to have a matress on the floor? The starkness of this is intreguing. It would be nice to hear your thoughts.
I usually paint in my studio alone, and this model was uncomfortable. I put the mattress on the floor in order to get a certain point of view. Thanks for your response

Joe Steiner
07-06-2004, 12:10 PM
HI Joe
I immediately visited your site and I think this is a great piece.
Yes Giberte I see Lucian Freud allso, but it is well done.
Ther is noting wrong with the breasts: they are pushed up by her arms, and for the ignorant : breastskin is mostly whiter then other skin.
I like the coolness, distant approach of it.
Was it from live model????
Anyhow GREAT work
Philippe
yes it was from a live model, and it was a cool day, and yes I was influenced by Lucian Freud. I'm trying to change directions now and become looser and more abstract but having a hard time of it. Thank you for your comments.