GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Country Love
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This may not be finished yet. Although I might go through the paper if I keep changing it.

I wanted to try a different type of sunset after seeing a watercolor sunset project. This is a familiar sight lately with these humid Minnesota evenings...from my imagination, so the colors are off I'm sure.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am still a beginner and would appreciate any and all comments or help you see I should work on.

Mikey
07-05-2004, 12:58 PM
I think this is a very good painting indeed for a beginner. You do have some light reflecting off the landscape, but I'd like to see some of that red from the sky.

Mikey

alfstan
07-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Hi Jonifaye
Just a note to offer my comments, for what they're worth. I realize that you are a beginner and offer these comments in the hope that you will take them as a sign of encouragement. First thing that I would do is to get a good book on perspective and practise on getting it down. Your rows of crops all point to a point in the middle of the sky, which makes it look like the side of a steep hill instead of the flat fields of the midwest. In this case it destroys the sence of depth in the painting. Next I would either put in another major cloud mass or move the one you have a little offcenter. I believe you wanted the cloud to be the center of focus so I would put more contrast in it by varying the colors a little more and by putting some light/dark interfaces in it. In other words, break it up a little. An artist is free to render anything he can imagin. I hope that I don't sound like a knowitall, but nobody learns unless their errors are pointed out to them. Keep painting no matter what anyone, even me, says. It is one of the things that seperate us from Gods other creatures.

Michael-Ann
07-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Lovely work...and I like the addition of the gold field creeping into the painting.

jonifaye
07-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks for each reply. I should have waited to paint the fields until I had a picture to go by maybe, but I couldn't wait. The paint is so thick now, I'm not sure how to correct the rows to improve them, but I may attempt something. Joni

Dana Design
07-06-2004, 01:06 AM
jonifaye, re-read alstan's advice! It's excellent and he's right on.

To change your rows of alafalfa beans (?), get a scrubber (watercolor necessity) or a stiff toothbrush, cutting out as many of the teeth in the toothbrush as you need. A child's brush could work. I couldn't live without my scrubbers. Mistakes 'r' us!

And as Mikey said, some of that pink in the sky could be reflected in the field rows.

Good going, girlie! Keep painting and keep posting!

futurebird
07-06-2004, 01:09 AM
I like the way you have sliced up the paper. The lines really work.

jonifaye
07-06-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm on my way to a golf tourney at a course surrounded by fields like these. Camera in hand! I should have had a picture to look at probably before attempting the fields since they're a constant unlike the sky. Thanks for the replies and advice. Joni

Spyderbabe
07-06-2004, 12:18 PM
I like the wedge of yellow pointing at that little bit of white. This is nearly abstract in its color shapes. I see a hand in the clouds. Very cool.

jonifaye
07-07-2004, 12:10 AM
I think I would be very interested in abstracts...I'll definitely attempt one some day. Thanks for the encouragement! Joni