GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Venice Canal
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 24 x 32
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Done alla prima in about 3.5 hours. I believe that it is 95% complete.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any thing that I have overlooked?

Dana Design
07-04-2004, 07:41 PM
woodguy, I'd (personally) like to see more brilliance on the face of those buildings. More shadows, light. Seems a bit "dead".

JMO. Stand back and look at the contrasting values (or lack thereof)...which is something that I fail to do most times.

Good stuff......love that water!

artbabe21
07-04-2004, 07:52 PM
Jim, I have to agree with Dana...unless it's night which the sky says it isn't...it's sorta somber looking. That sway to the left og the buildings is bothersome at least to me...I know the older buildings are this way....but my transit eye wants to level them! Anyway I like the scene & the way the water wraps around...:)

Michael-Ann
07-04-2004, 09:16 PM
To me it seems this is a unique take on the lighting not typically captured...this seems to be that point in the day where the sun has sunk just below the horizon (at the point of the other end of the canal of which we cannot see)...we, the viewers stand in the heavy shadows, breezes have dropped to nearly nothing, our skin is a little burnt from the sun and wind of today's excursions...and it is beginning to feel a little cool - smells of the water, and the dank surroundings begin to make themselves evident. Ambient noise has begun to drop and we can now hear the sounds of water lapping against boat and echoing quietly in the canal.

Should I just say I like it???? :D

jerryW
07-05-2004, 08:52 AM
these dark light patterns (grid and radial) on the colored scene exquisitely combine all the elements.

giniaad
07-05-2004, 11:48 AM
yes, unique light...and beautifully done!

(you can tweek here and there if you like too
just a few subtle highlights...
OR leave it as is!)

alfstan
07-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Like the painting but to me the water looks more like ice, I'd put more movement in it Just my opinion.

Artistanne
07-05-2004, 12:51 PM
I really like the lighting just as you have it, I tend to agree with Michelle-Ann that it looks like the time of day when the sun has just dipped below the horizon but has left a faint ghost of amber on the buildings. I like the feeling of this very much.

haaf
07-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Hey Jim
I think the combination of all the patterns is just great, it makes together a painted tapestry, no one of the objects will feel lonely
Caroline ;)

woodguy
07-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Thank you, Dana! I am attaching an image of the painting after making some changes...glazing mostly.

Thank you, Cathleen! You are seeing my "left handed" tilt. I really did not want to go back in with heavy paint to straighten everything completely plumb, so I chalk it up to "old swaying" buildings.

Thank you, Michael Anne! After your comments I really hesitaed to do anything more to this. You really GOT the feeling that I was trying to convey.

Thank you, Jerry! As always I appreciate your comments.

Thank you, Gini! I tweaked here and there....is it ok?

Thank you Alfstan! I appreciate you looking and commenting. The digital image may present it as ice, but "for real" it is much more convincing as water.

Thank you, Artistanne! I really appreciate your kind comments.

Thank you, Caroline! I also appreciate your kind comments.

Again, thank you all. Here is what it looks like now after a wee bit of tweaking. Jim

stephanf
07-05-2004, 08:08 PM
nice one...ill bet is better in life...light capturer

giniaad
07-05-2004, 08:51 PM
s'gorgeous!!

so glad you did tweek it...
!!wonderful-wonderful-wonderful!!

woodguy
07-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Thank you, Stephan! I like "Light Capturer," it fits well.

Thank you, Gini! Glad I did not g too far.

I appreciate you looking and commenting! Jim

Dana Design
07-05-2004, 11:58 PM
woodie! It absolutely glows. Life is there with a sensuous setting sun!

Lovely (and sorry about the alliteration)!

artbabe21
07-06-2004, 01:24 AM
Oh, YES.....Jim!! Gloriously glowing!! Mucho betta! :) You rock! :)

Spyderbabe
07-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Loving those lights on the east bank!

woodguy
07-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Thank you Dana! Aliteration is okay by me. I like "Sensuous setting sun"

Thank you Cathleen! Wow you too, "Gloriously glowing" works!

Thank you Kathleen!

My Gallery has already requested this one, so as soon as it is framed it is off!

dornberg
07-06-2004, 11:31 PM
delicate yet strong coloration

artbabe21
07-07-2004, 12:39 AM
My Gallery has already requested this one, so as soon as it is framed it is off!

Thrilled for you Jim...couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Continued success!! :)

paloma
07-07-2004, 02:44 AM
Lovely scene, painted in the Van Gogh style - excelent now you have tweeked it it postively glows. Well done. Cheers Paloma. :clap:

mattlart
07-07-2004, 11:43 AM
The tweaking made a DRAMATIC difference, Jim! :clap:

Gorgeous light,..and you've rendered the water beautifully.
Another fine aspect here is that you've taken what was likely a very complicated scene,.....and simplified it well!

I'm thinkin' that because the sky comprises such a large area of this scene;..perhaps a bit more drama,..suggestion of sunlit clouds,..or rosey color might add a lovely element to the overall composition.

Either way,......WELL DONE my friend! Cheers,-S

artinoils
07-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Nice tweaking for sure. Beautiful.

Michael-Ann
07-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Terrific Grand finale'! The light on the face of the buildings, the water and reflections around the boats at dock...and the lights are just *perfect*!

...So what's the name of your gallery? :D

Hey! Don't laugh, one can dream!

woodguy
07-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks, Bob! I always appreciate your comments.

Thanks, Cathleen! You are very kind.

Thank you, Paloma!

Thanks, Scott! I wrestled with what to do with the sky....but decided to let it stay simple and not compete with the drama of the light on the buildings and water. Could have become too busy otherwise I think.

Thank you, Susan! It seems that some tweaking pays off sometimes.

Thank you, Michael-Anne! I am represented by 3 galleries, but this one is off to my most productive one....Pilar Shephard Art Gallery, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.