PDA

View Full Version : Old Dali-Foothills of the Himayalayas

Londondeon
07-04-2004, 01:49 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-04-2004/44933_email_Old_Dali_Town,_Foothills_of_the_Himaylas.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Old Dali-Foothills of the Himayalayas
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This piece was painted from a reference photo taken in Yunnan Province. I am trying to capture the warmth of the sun and the coldness of the looming mountains in the background.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments or criticisim are welcome. Is it too busy? Is composition OK?
Color scheme etc.

Michael-Ann
07-04-2004, 02:11 PM
I think this is perfect as is. The color is excellent. Takes the eye traipsing right up those steps and into the mountains.

Gilberte
07-04-2004, 03:11 PM
This is really a nice, very nice painting. Can't give comment nor critique, only appreciation. Yes it does convey the warmth of the sun and the cold air of the mountains, not busy at all, great palette. Have you been in Tibet ?

Dana Design
07-04-2004, 03:35 PM
At first, I thought this was a watercolor painting! This is a beautiful painting of a village in a place I'd love to visit. Thanks for taking me there.

Moosehead
07-04-2004, 09:19 PM
I would say the composition is great. Good lights and shadows as well. Well done!

Mikey
07-05-2004, 07:25 AM
There seems to be a lot more here than just an attractive painting. The natural invitation upwards seems to imply the spiritual.

Mikey

roberj
07-05-2004, 09:26 AM
You have captured the crispness of the air, a wonderful thing to get right.

Bob

Londondeon
07-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Yes I have been here. I lived in China for a while and taught western culture there. Until I painted a long series of China in oils, I had always been a watercolorist. I think that my painting style often reflects my watercolor background. This location is due east of the border to Myanmar and just southeast of Tibet.

Thanks for the kudos.
Londondeon

alfstan
07-05-2004, 01:36 PM
This is really a lovely painting. Everything works to convey your intentions and the composition does what you wanted. Not knowing what the background mountains looked like in your reference photo, I think that your depictions of them look a little too much like an ocean wave. The colors are good but break up top edge of them a little to get away from what looks much like the cables of the Golden Gate bridge. Not trying to be mean, just my thoughts.

stephanf
07-05-2004, 08:50 PM
im thinkin the forground showdows are too harsh...could knock them down a few values...darks too dark...and nice job

dornberg
07-06-2004, 11:44 PM
bold, but consistant color placements

wolvenp
07-09-2004, 02:48 AM
The light on the white walls, the shadows, colors, the sky: all very well done. I am not sure how I feel about the central placement of the bdg with steps also in center.