PDA

View Full Version : Courageous Convictions

RI painter
07-04-2004, 12:40 PM
This was a project I did last summer for The Newport Art Museum in Rhode Island. Area artist were asked to submit ideas for painting/decorating replicas of the America's cup sailboat "Courageous". All 40 boats were on display throughout the town all summer(akin to projects with cows in other cities) A private sponsor purchsed the "naked" (plain white hull and sales) boat and I was assigned the Local Fire Dept. as the place of display.
The "mural" on one side is from a photograph of two firefighters on the back of the actual "courageous" just after 911 in another charity event.
The red side has the ensignias as found on the Newport fire trucks.
I was fortunate to receive the "best in fleet" jury award (one of whom was Dennis Connor) and the boat received the highest bid at the fundraiser auction from the original supporters and the boat will end up back with the fire dept. The hose running up the mast can actually spray water if attached. :)
Happy 4th,
Jon

Marty C
07-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi Jon,
Fantastic concept and what a great job you did on your yacht. It looks superb! A wonderful tribute to the firemen, to yachting and to your skills as an artist. :clap: :clap:

anney
07-05-2004, 03:04 AM
Hi Jon,

I like your concept - and the implementation, no doubt you deserve your award.

Anne

Diane Cutter
07-05-2004, 06:38 AM
As a seagoing person, this is one series of public art I'd really like to see...

I've seen painted ponies, cows, pigs in IN, mermaids in FL... Boats in Newport make a lot of sense...

Diane

Alan Cross
07-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Great job and congrats on the award....
Alan :)