PDA

View Full Version : old or new idea?

DPaulson
10-02-2001, 11:45 AM
Hello everyone!

I have just finished a painting of a heron and
I got to a point where I lost the tooth in my canson Mi-teintes paper and discovered a way to clean up it up. I had an old tooth brush in my painting box and proceeded to scape in a downward motion, loosening up the filled area I wanted to change.

It worked great! It also created a nice look to the waters reflection.
When I get a picture of my piece, I will upload it as soon as possible.

I am fairly new to pastels.

Has anyone known about this or is this a common practice?

I would like your input.

Thank You!

lismith
10-02-2001, 03:41 PM
Wow, new idea to me! I'm new to pastels too, and your tip will come in very handy. Thanks for posting it! :D

sandge
10-02-2001, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by DPaulson

I got to a point where I lost the tooth in my canson Mi-teintes paper and discovered a way to clean up it up. I had an old tooth brush in my painting box and proceeded to scape in a downward motion, loosening up the filled area I wanted to change.

With soft pastels? Hope you didn't breathe in while you were doing it! :D

You might want to invest in a dust mask.

DPaulson
10-03-2001, 08:42 AM
Hi Sandra,

As I said, I am new to pastels, but I noted that every time I do a painting dust falls. I am well aware of the dust created by pastels because I had cancer of the throat back in 1978. I had 33 radiation treatments and am fine now!

I worked in a paper mill as an electrician and was exposed to asbestos from many areas.

I believe that I got the cancer from asbestos fibers when a boiler was being removed,(without proper precaution). So please be carefull around any kind of dust.
I have plurel thickening & plaques in my lungs also, of which, I am being compensated for.

There have been many discussions on the dust from pastels. Test have proven that it is not hazardous to your health, but so was asbestos back in the 60's.

I don't want to dwell too much on that subject but yes, I do wear a dust mask.
So, what so you think of my discovery?

Love, Don

LDianeJohnson
10-04-2001, 08:50 PM
Hi Don,

Congratulations on your little "invention." This is a good idea and I have not heard of doing this to recover some of the lost tooth. I would just be careful not to dent/scratch the paper with the brush. The old toothbrush as long as it's very soft sounds fine.

Using a kneaded eraser pressed into the paper and directly lifted repeatedly (kneading between presses) is the normal way. And many artists also use a flat, old exacto blade. The brush is good as it randomly pushes away the pastel particles. And, you can do it in localized spots rather than an all-over treatment.

Thanks for the tip!

Diane