PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried this before?

bnoonan
07-03-2004, 04:47 PM
I was with a painter recently and yet I can't recal whom... anyway - they bought pizza boxes from the restaurant and stacked their paintings in them when they were painting plein aire. The sturdy boxes would prevent the painting from being crushed or damaged and yet allowed them to be stacked. I thought it was pretty convenient. Any one else have any ideas like this?

Barb

K Taylor-Green
07-03-2004, 06:04 PM
I've never tried that, but it sounds like a good idea. Well, except for any grease on the box. How would you handle that? Maybe a small under-the-bed storage box would work better. They come in different sizes.

K Taylor-Green
07-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Duh! I just noticed the part about BUYING the pizza boxes! :o My hands work faster than my mind, these days. Is that middle age??

CarlyHardy
07-04-2004, 12:39 AM
I keep about six large pizza boxes stacked in my studio to take plein air when I work in oils on canvas or boards. Up to a 16x20 will fit in one box....8x10's and 9x12's will fit two to a box. If you don't want them to slide in the box, Just use a bit of that goo that you stick on the wall to hold up a painting...the kind that you can peel right off...keep it in the box and stick it below one corner of the painting :). Or cut some cardboard, stack it and fill in the space. You'd only need a couple to hold the paintings in place. I don't worry about the side to side movement when I drive with them or carry them....but do remember to not turn them upside down :)

If you wanted to do this with pastel paintings it would work....you could stack them inside the box with sheets of glassine or other protective paper between the paintings. I don't use them for my pastels since I have a big plastic portfolio which is waterproof. I put my pastels back inside it along with my extra paper.

carly

Oil pastels on canvas would work well in the pizza boxes too :)

prestonsega
07-04-2004, 02:15 AM
Thanks for passing on the tip...I'm not a plein aire painter, but I bet I can find uses of my own with these sturdy thin storage boxes :cool:

Deborah Secor
07-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Would pizza boxes work for flat storage in the studio? I need some ideas for flat storage there--I can't afford the fancy Mayline files I'd liketo have, nor do I currently have the space for them, so I'd appreciate ideas any of you have. Here in the land of dirt and dust I'd just as soon they be closed, rather than open shelving. Any thoughts???

Deborah

Dyin
07-04-2004, 11:24 PM
uh, where can you buy pizza boxes??? Would make great storage...:)

bnoonan
07-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Ok - Here we just call up a pizza place and ask them to sell the boxes before they use them. I'm sure they buy them in bulk and offer us a pretty good rate but they are pre-printed so we have to cover the printing costs. Sometimes they sell them without folding them.

Sue - are you that much in the country that Dominos doesn't deliver? If so... I guess you'll have to look for a packaging company and/or move!!!! Or on one of your next drives, find a pizza place and buy one or two.

Deborah - It may work in the studio - never thought of that. I personally like your storage method between pads of paper and have adopted that.

My two other methods I use are...
Dick blick sent me some sheets of leCarte paper in a sturdy box that I've strengthened with foam core. I also use a box that was designed for portfolio shipping. It's from a packaging store in SF. Guess I have more options living in a large art city.

Barb

Dyin
07-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Actually get my pizza delivered by San Francisco Pier 49...they use a white alfredo sauce on a shrimp/crab combo...mmmmmm.....but they drip oil from the sun dried tomatoes, so never thought of using it lol. Suppose I could ask for some fresh ones.

Khadres
07-05-2004, 03:01 PM
That's a good bet for you, Deborah....order a dozen or so sheets of something from Blick's and they send it to you in these wonderful heavy boxes, about 1.5 or maybe even 2" deep by whatever size the sheets are. I still have several of those; hated to throw them away since that was all I had for storage for a long time. Too bad you're not just down the street -- now that I have the Mayline file, I have 8 of those stacking trays sitting, doing nothin'! Figures, dunnit? Oh, well, they're open at the front too, so...

artist_pw
07-07-2004, 02:14 AM
Hi:

This is a good idea, but you might want to watch out for acid from the cardboard. You might want to make sure that you have some barrier between the cardboard and your art paper.

bnoonan
07-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Excellent point about the archival nature of the boxes. I'll keep that in mind.

Barb

Dark_Shades
07-07-2004, 03:18 PM
I just use one of those decorated carboard boxes which has a lid, normally come in a flat pack of 3 different sizes from an office stationers, kept the biggest size for my pictures which will take 16 x 20" and just place a piece of glassine folded over each one (makes it easy to just flick through if need be) ....... holds all that Ive done so far, and just slide the box under my bed :)

Mikki Petersen
07-11-2004, 12:47 AM
New pizza boxes would be a great idea! I purchase flat storage boxes from Dick Blick. They are made out of a corrugated plastic-y stuff and come in a number of sizes. I have several 18x24 and two 24x32, I think. I use one of the big ones for clean paper storage and the rest are paintings. Oh, yeah...the big boxes store under our bed, the others are on a shelf in my studio.

paloma
07-11-2004, 05:36 AM
I am still using the bog standard Artists Portfolios - buy them in most good art shops quite cheap & they come in A3 - full Imperial. Have had mine for more than 20 yrs still going strong though bulging now!! With a sheet of glassine in between I can store everything safely. They hardly take up any space at all.
Cheers , Alexandra :) :)

Kathryn Wilson
07-11-2004, 01:09 PM
I've been using the big cardboard box that Dick Blick sent my Somerset paper in - it's huge, and it holds all my paper -

But, I wish someone would make glassine envelopes in assorted sizes - I am wary of those clear plastic envelopes that are advertised in the Pastel Journal.

Mikki Petersen
07-11-2004, 04:40 PM
But, I wish someone would make glassine envelopes in assorted sizes - I am wary of those clear plastic envelopes that are advertised in the Pastel Journal.

Yes, Kat! It would be so convenient! I have a big roll of glassine but no matter how I cut it, I end up throwing away a lot of it. I see those clear plastic envelopes all the time at art shows but they are always used on prints. I've been afraid they would lift the pastel. I bought a portfolio that has plastic leaves for each piece of art but it does not work for pastel at all because it lifts the pgment then smears it...a real mess!

Kathryn Wilson
07-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi Mikki! I did a little sleuthing on the internet for glassine envelopes - I thought I had looked before and now I know why I didn't buy any. Of course you have to buy in bulk and it does seem expensive, but then again I've had to spend .75 on one sheet of glassine. Maybe we can do a group buy if anyone is interested. There are all sorts of sizes and two different ways of loading a painting - from the top and from the side, which I would prefer.

Here's a link:

http://www.apec-usa.com/apecdotnet/Category.aspx?CategoryID=5

Deborah Secor
07-11-2004, 08:10 PM
I have a little pastel painting here that was sent to me as a gift, which has been in one of the clear plastic envelopes for about 3-4 years now. It's painted on La Carte and doesn't appear to be fixed. I took these snaps to show you how little problem it's been. I'd be more than happy to have only this amount of pastel come off in that time, and I should mention that this has been in a binder full of photos that go with me to class every week, so it's been thoroughly bounced around. I actually think these bags are pretty good! Not perfect, mind you, and maybe not the way to ultimately present paintings, but since there was no mat and the little piece of paper fit in perfectly, it worked quite well...

Nice painting, huh? By Denise LaRue Mahlke.

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
07-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi Kat! Looked at that site and it is pricy but they do have a good selection of sizes.

I found this site, a camera supply place, that sells them in 10 packs but only up to 11x14.
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?page=il_refine_search

But then I found this site! American Kelco, makers of envelopes, you can purchase 1 to infinity...in virtually any size.
http://www.americankelco.com/envelopessleeves2.html

I'm going to give them a try.

Mikki Petersen
07-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Hey Deborah, thanks! That does not look bad at all and you can see clearly through it, too. You caught me just in time, I was about to place an order for the glassine ones...they average about 50 cents each. Now I'll go price the cellophane.

Mikki Petersen
07-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Okay, I placed an order with Kelco for 5 different sizes, some glassine aned some cellophane. Will be interesting to see. I ended up with 100 envelopes in sizes ranging from 11"x14" to 22 1/2"x28 1/2" for 53.52 including tax and postage. Not bad!

Kathryn Wilson
07-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Hi Mikki - when you get your order from Kelco, please post back here how you like both the glassine and the celophane. I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Hope we have our envelopes solved!

Mikki Petersen
07-12-2004, 01:33 AM
Okay, Kat...I'll do that. It will be 7-10 days I think.