PDA

View Full Version : Carnival Lady or New Years Eve Party

CeCe
07-03-2004, 03:33 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-03-2004/33355_carnladyfin.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Carnival Lady or New Years Eve Party
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I saw some pictures of a carnival and loved the excitement in them. I used those as a basis for creating this painting. I usually call her Carnival Lady but our art center has a open 'hanging' in December through January and I thought I'd put her in with the alter title New Years Eve Party.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I haven't been painting long but enjoy it. Any comments are welcome.

Dana Design
07-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Cece, this shows a lot of imagination even if painted from a photo. You've got the highlights in her eyes and it would give her face a more rounder appearance if you were to determine where your light is coming from and highlight her facial features as well.

Her fingers are a bit thick but then I don't know what "style" you're going for. It's certainly interesting and you've got a lot of life in her face!

Keep painting! And make it fun!

CeCe
07-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks Dana. When you mentioned the light, I realized that I had the highlights in her eyes 'backwards'. I have reversed them and the light is more from 'her' right and front keeping the shadow on the left of 'her' face. I did lighten the right side of her face and shoulder a little but it was getting tricky so left with only minor changes there.

My husband thought the background was too much and distracted from her? I thought it added to the 'excitement' of the moment. Any comments are welcome.

Michael-Ann
07-05-2004, 07:36 PM
I could see her strutting her stuff at Mardi Gras...I think the colors are especially well suited to the carnival atmosphere, I like them very much.

Dana Design
07-05-2004, 11:55 PM
Cece, this is an interesting and exciting painting. Unusual.....I can't paint in this style....but lots of verve in it. Like it very much!

Looking forward to your next!

CeCe
07-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks Michael-Ann. Thanks Dana. This is the first time I painted a face and it was interesting to do. I did use an item called SPRAY MEDIUM from StudioProducts.com for the first time. I usually use Linseed oil but this spray medium worked nicely. I only thinned a few of the paints when I needed 'lines' but the medium allowed me to spray the canvas and work whereever I needed to without thinning and it really help extend the paint. The only thing to be careful of is the smell as it is strong so I worked with an open window only 2 feet from me.

SilverLady
07-06-2004, 09:52 PM
This is very good. I am from Louisiana. Have seen a few of these.
Make her hand and fingers slender.
Her neck is too wide under her hand. Make her hair come down lower to fix.
She is a beautiful lady.

Silverlady

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2004/18220-33355_carnladyfin.jpg

paloma
07-07-2004, 03:01 AM
You have certainly conveyed excitement here in this painting. Would like to see the hand refined as this is what attracts the viewer - it is all a little too red overall. Well done. Cheers Paloma :)

CeCe
07-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks, Silverlady, for the dig alterations. Her fat little fingers have given me some trouble. Your picture helps. I see what you mean about her neck too.

Thanks, Paloma. I have to say I fell in love with RED as you can see. I think RED is in my alter ego since I usually wear blue. ;-)

Thanks all for your comments and reassurance.

Ronni
08-10-2007, 03:10 AM
I looked into your threads and loved what I saw, you don't copy but create, and put feelings and ideas into your works, and I find you an exciting artist!