PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mountain Fire

cotopaxi_annie
07-03-2004, 11:18 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-03-2004/43938_photos_of_paintings_034.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Iron Mountain Fire
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
We were living high in the mountains of Colorado when a large forest fire broke out near our home. We were forced to evacuate. This painting was made from a photo taken at that time. The fire was coming over the ridge near our home and there was only one way out. I wanted to try to capture the magniture of that fire and the feeling that it evoked as we faced it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would especially like to hear your "feeling" about the painting. Any suggestions? All comments appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Annie

Dana Design
07-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi, Annie,
This painting is very well done. The fire reads well and adds tension to the overall work. Your rendering of the smoke is very good!

I hope your house was saved. I've seen those fires and they're very frightening!

cotopaxi_annie
07-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks Dana,

That is what I was aiming for with this painting. The old shed in the painting was lost, along with 88 homes but ours was spared. Thanks for asking.

Annie

Dana Design
07-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks Dana,

That is what I was aiming for with this painting. The old shed in the painting was lost, along with 88 homes but ours was spared. Thanks for asking.

Annie

I'm glad your house was saved but sorry that the old shed is gone. Looked very interesting to paint!

haaf
07-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Hi Annie,
The idea and the threat of a wood fire is well captured, good job.
I cannot help myself thinking: wow this woman risks everything for a painting, although I know you have painted this from a photograph, I still imagine you sitting there with a roaring fire approaching and you calmly behind yr easel being busy with the set up and lay out of this painting.
Probably also cause the foreground has such a calm mood.
Again cannot get that out of my mind, just me, should I get worried?
Caroline ;)

cotopaxi_annie
07-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Caroline,

I am still rolling around laughing at your comment but, the more I think about it, I am not sure that it is to far from the truth. What makes a person even stop and take photos of such a threatening thing????

It is a powerful and beautiful thing if you can manage to seperate yourself from what you are facing. We stayed as long as we dared but it was an awesome experience.

Thanks for sharing your comments and your wonderful sense of humor/imagination. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Annie

Gilberte
07-04-2004, 03:54 PM
I believe you when you say it was an awesome experience. Fortunately we don't have such huge fires in Belgium.

Nice painting nevertheless !

sugar tree gal
07-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Annie, this is very good, smoke , fire whole thing.. These fires can be really scary. Glad you got the picture, and your home was spared. Janice

jerryW
07-05-2004, 09:01 AM
pretty good color work!
nice frame too.
but in the photo, the cups and green bottle neck are the real winners especially with the effective crop and the resulting sense of depth and contrasts

my apologies for noticing the off canvas part.
you have good taste.

cotopaxi_annie
07-05-2004, 12:15 PM
OK, OK, I finally get it. I am not a morning person and things take a while to sink in. At first, I had no idea what you were talking about with the "cups and green bottle" thing. I should say that it was planned that way just to set off the painting in a specific manner. But..........the truth is that I have yet to understand how to crop my photos. Life is a learning experience.

Thanks for waking me up!

Annie