GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Flower Garden
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a figurative impressionistic piece at the request of a client. I had just been experimenting with thick paint on a few previous paintings, so this fit right in.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
It's almost finished so now's a good time to ask you talented folks for some C&C. Does it hold together? Is it too wishy- washy? You input will be greatly appreciated.

Dana Design
07-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Don't know if you're going for realism or not therefore take this with a grain of salt.

Were it mine, I'd lighten up the the right side of her dress (HER right side), the top of her right arm and a bit on the basket handle. The light source is coming from her right side and you could hit that side with highlights. The hair is done well and the feeling of soft windiness is very good. Her dress is also done well.

Just a few tweaks! It's lovely and has a nice feeling.

Deano
07-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Don't know if you're going for realism or not therefore take this with a grain of salt.

Were it mine, I'd lighten up the the right side of her dress (HER right side), the top of her right arm and a bit on the basket handle. The light source is coming from her right side and you could hit that side with highlights. The hair is done well and the feeling of soft windiness is very good. Her dress is also done well.

Just a few tweaks! It's lovely and has a nice feeling.
Many thanks, Dana. I'm trying to go for a combo of realism & impressionism (leaning more toward impressionism). Your suggestions are very valid and appreciated. I will put them to use. Once again, thanks.
Deano

Mikey
07-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Deano,

I think you've got the first glance I want from an Impressionist painting. I agree with Dana about the highlights to bring those things forward. A beautiful evening.

Mikey

Gilberte
07-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Lovely romantic painting portraying a very warm evening. Accentuating the light source would indeed enhance the woman's figure.
Congratulations on your 1000th post ! Just noticed it ...

Deano
07-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi, Mikey & Gilberte...
Thanks for looking and your helpful words.
Thanks for pointing out post # 1000...YaY!!! :clap:

Deano
07-05-2004, 11:26 AM
I've made some corrections following the much valued advice which I received. Added more light to her right side...worked on fingers of her left hand. I've also included some close ups to show the texture of the paint. Would appreciate additional comments. Thanks for looking.

Deano
07-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Here's two more detail shots I couldn't add to previous post.

Mikey
07-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Better separation of objects and quite exquisite. One thing, there's nothing wrong with her mouth, so you must disagree with Sargent. Please do disagree, he must have been joking.

Mikey

Dana Design
07-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Beautiful. A new vibrancy! Be proud of this!

Deano
07-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Better separation of objects and quite exquisite. One thing, there's nothing wrong with her mouth, so you must disagree with Sargent. Please do disagree, he must have been joking.

Mikey
But in this case, it was her arm...Here's part of a Deano quote on this subject: "If it ain't one thing, it's another." :D
Thanks for your input, Mikey.

Deano
07-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Beautiful. A new vibrancy! Be proud of this!
Thank you for the generous words and your previous valued suggestions, Dana. It was of g :) reat help.