GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Oil Sketch of Girl
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: approx 11x8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I wanted a set of oils, so dug out an old present, a fabulous set of Reeves paints - 3.50 UK for 12 tubes.

It's a quick sketch, but has a certain quality I find very pleasing. I never quite got it with acrylics.

Sorry about the flare.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments please.

Dana Design
07-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Mikey, you've got the basics going! Now, keep going. Her face is a little wide on MY left side. Bring that in a bit and you've got an extremely nice portrait.

She has a lovely softness and kindness to her eyes and other features. I wouldn't touch those at all.

Mikey
07-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Many thanks Dana. Kid's paints and kid's brushes, but enough to convince me oils have got a certain something I will never get with acrylics.

Mikey

giniaad
07-03-2004, 09:34 PM
good experiment to get in touch with a new medium
once you are more familiar with them...
the other details will fall in place...

I have not touch oils in so long...
I forget...
just remember how much I loved the smell of my grandmother's studio
just can not do that to my home...I'm not the only one here...

Cheers!

Mikey
07-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Thanks Gini,

Michael Harding may have to wait a little while longer. We'll see. Old Holland have a basic set for 14.95, but with hues for Cadmiums. I used Sansador medium for this, and so it didn't smell noticeably. But where to put the dry paintings is a major problem, let alone wet ones.

It's the pungent smell of refined turps and linseed oil from students at the National Gallery which stays in my mind. It was a deep childhood impression.

Mikey