PDA

View Full Version : sunny day

nethra
07-02-2004, 11:15 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-02-2004/31464_busy_street1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: sunny day
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14*18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Inspired by a photo in the image library. Done with knife.The painting is still wet. Looks more dull when scanned.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Am not good in figure drawing. Hence have painted the people vaguely.Do the figures look odd? Any other comments most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Spyderbabe
07-02-2004, 11:45 AM
HI... nice work - and it's knife? It's an interesting composition. People look a little stiff - everyone with white head and black suit. Also the birds are kind of big... if they are far off they are still as big as the people's heads. But this is all nit picking stuff.... nice lights and shapes...

Londondeon
07-02-2004, 03:32 PM
The people do look a little stiff, but that is OK. They also look like they are floating, they need some cast shadows to plant them on the ground. The three people on the right in the cast shadow have heads that appear to be bright white. A color or white when in shadow on a bright sunny day should be approximate 4 values darker then they would be in the bright sun. The heads need to be dropped 4 values so they do not act like beacons in the shadow. I lightened the sky and darkened the shadows and now it seems a little sunnier.

Composition is great. The shadow and the one point perspective lead the eye into the painting easily. The limited palette gives a feeling of comfort not tension to the painting.

Good work! :rolleyes:

todd71_63116
07-02-2004, 03:54 PM
i dunno..its interesting...kind of still..muted colors make it a little creepy along with the figures...

its a gray, still day...its a big town...somethings going on, all these pasty, dark clothed, people are going somewhere...in somewhat of a mob..

the fastest perceived motion is the birds in the background...something must be going on to the right over there beyond that archway...

Gilberte
07-02-2004, 04:04 PM
I don't mind the figures being somewhat stiff, they complement the straightness of the buildings but the far figure on the left is taller than the ones in the foreground ... just my 2 cents ...

nethra
07-03-2004, 05:46 AM
Thanks so much syderbabe,londondeon,todd71_63116 and Gilberte for looking and writing about it. Am basically self learning and have no one to comment or criticize my paintings. And this type of feedback makes me feel more confident and motivated to improve and start another painting.
Will try to make the changes and post again. :)

nethra
07-03-2004, 09:25 AM
here is my updated painting. :).
please write in your comments.
Thanks.

Dana Design
07-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Interesting painting and a challenging one. The figures that you've redone are so much better, however, I'd lose the one on the upper left as it draws too much of the eye there and it looks like it's dressed in a Santa Claus costume.

The bird flock does give a strange atmosphere to this painting.....strange how one small circle of dots can evoke a feeling of eeriness.

Very promising, keep painting!

Mikey
07-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Nethra,

I nice street scene. I've retouched the file, because if it's a sunny day as the lighting suggests the colours have to be warmer. Maybe you've got a scanner like mine, which always gives a green file first time.

Mikey

Edit: sorry I didn't notice the update.

nethra
07-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks DanaDesign and Mikey for looking and writing about it.
Dana I did remove the santa claus :D guy and the painting looks much better.Thanks again.
Nethra

Dana Design
07-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks DanaDesign and Mikey for looking and writing about it.
Dana I did remove the santa claus :D guy and the painting looks much better.Thanks again.
Nethra

I'd like to see an update! Nice painting!!!

nethra
07-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Here is my updated painting dana design.Sorry for the late reply. After all the motivation I got, I was busy with the next ones. :p
Thanks for asking and any c&c most welcome.

Dana Design
07-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Great! Sunny, hot, bright and descriptive! Good work!