PDA

View Full Version : "Colorful Hydrangeas" WIP

judwal
06-30-2004, 06:01 PM
I have to take many breaks doing this one. Those individual blossoms take a lot of concentration.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2004/43597-Colorful_Hydrangeas_3_Reduced.jpg

aurora70
06-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Hi Judy...I love your work and I was wondering..do you mass in the local color for each head and then mark out each blossom with white charcoal..is that what I see?? It's looking wonderful already....

Monica

annie14072
06-30-2004, 06:52 PM
I love these flowers. I did one in oils a few years ago and have been thinking of trying it in pastels. I'll post it if I do.

Annie

judwal
06-30-2004, 06:53 PM
Hi Monica..
Yes..I do mass in the color to begin with as you see in the non-detailed white hydrangea next to the pink one. I use white pastels and other colors to draw the individual flowers and then add shading as I proceed. It's pretty tedious as you can probably tell from this photo.

I'm glad you like my work. Thanks!

Khadres
06-30-2004, 07:59 PM
It's really cool to see your work in progress! Already looks really yummy, too!
You're right...it does look painstaking; not sure I'd have the patience, but your work is always worth the effort!

meowmeow
06-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Painstakingly lovely! Thanks for doing the WIP.

SAndy

Grasshopper
07-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Do you have hydrangeas you work from or are you using a picture? I can't seem to nail the look of them in a painting I'm doing in pastels. I can't see the shape of the blooms very well in the photo. You're doing a great job.

Mikki Petersen
07-01-2004, 12:35 PM
This is going to be stunning! I love the way you are using a blend of all the different colors that hydrangias can appear in. They are one of my all time favorites but I cannot grow them here because it seems they are a favorite snack for the deer. It may be painstaking to do this, but I find sometimes it's fun to get involved in a really absorbing piece of work that takes time...do you?

judwal
07-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Do you have hydrangeas you work from or are you using a picture? I can't seem to nail the look of them in a painting I'm doing in pastels. I can't see the shape of the blooms very well in the photo. You're doing a great job.
I'm using a photograph. I wish I had these beautiful hydrangeas in my yard.

judwal
07-01-2004, 05:57 PM
This is going to be stunning! I love the way you are using a blend of all the different colors that hydrangias can appear in. They are one of my all time favorites but I cannot grow them here because it seems they are a favorite snack for the deer. It may be painstaking to do this, but I find sometimes it's fun to get involved in a really absorbing piece of work that takes time...do you?
Yes...it is sometimes painstaking but when I see the end result and I am satisfied with what I have created....it all seems worthwhile.

And oh..I should mention that while I'm working I usually have music playing with my favorite...Barry Manilow! Yep...I'm a fanilow.

bnoonan
07-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Oh Judy - just when I was respecting you as an artist you reveal the fanilow obsession. Oh man... how am i going to be able to cope now???

Actually I'll just concentrate on what I do love and it's this piece. Thanks for sharing the process. Boy are you tight and yet it's going to be magnificent. I commend you for the patience in this one. Love the colors you've chosen so far.

Enjoy!!! Barb (Oh and try some classical music too - ok I admit it, I'm a closet Disco music fan.... ooop - hopefully no one else is reading this). :rolleyes:

Deborah Secor
07-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Um, fanilow? Judy? But maybe I should try it. If it would make me paint flowers like these!

(To the strains of 'Staying Alive') BARB? What did you say?

:rolleyes: Amazing the things folks reveal... :D

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
07-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Barely ManEnuff?!? Eeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

Try some good blues- maybe some Eric Clapton? Stan Getz? Chris Botti?

But lovely hydrangeas. Gorgeous work, as usual, Judy.

judwal
07-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Barely ManEnuff?!? Eeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

Julie,
This ones for you...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2004/43597-bart_moons.gif

From Barry and Judy <LOL>

meowmeow
07-02-2004, 10:25 AM
:D

Good for you Judy!!!! :D

judwal
07-02-2004, 11:50 AM
:D

Good for you Judy!!!! :D
Yeah..you all better watch out. I have a whole arsenal of animated gifs suitable for any occasion.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2004/43597-blowing_bubblegum.gif

SweetBabyJ
07-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Don't make me get out my turns-green-and-spews-vomit Smilie.....

hahaha!

Welcome to the back row, Judy- your turn to bring snacks.

judwal
07-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Don't make me get out my turns-green-and-spews-vomit Smilie.....

You can use that one for the next pastel I post. If indeed you really have a smilie of that nature. <challenge>

Khadres
07-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Yes...it is sometimes painstaking but when I see the end result and I am satisfied with what I have created....it all seems worthwhile.

And oh..I should mention that while I'm working I usually have music playing with my favorite...Barry Manilow! Yep...I'm a fanilow.

Hey! At least Manilow sings happy stuff, for the most part. Since we're revealing our little secrets....give me some Foreigner, Queensryche, some Savage Garden or maybe some Guns and Roses or AC/DC! But Johnny Mathis is cool too! Aw heck...anything that's not rap or tooooo angry is okay with me...even the occasional C/W (as long as they DON'T yodel!!)...quite like Lonestar, actually. Classical is good for reading or writing. Livelier stuff for painting.

Oh, geez, almost forgot....BON JOVI!! :evil:

SweetBabyJ
07-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Lemme see does it still work- I hadda d/l it from one of my storage sites 'cause it wasn't on my hd anymore.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2004/9169-eck15.gif

Yep- still works. Just right click and save if you want it- it comes in handy sometimes....

bnoonan
07-02-2004, 04:43 PM
You guys are too much!!!!

B

judwal
07-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Lemme see does it still work- I hadda d/l it from one of my storage sites 'cause it wasn't on my hd anymore.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2004/9169-eck15.gif

Yep- still works. Just right click and save if you want it- it comes in handy sometimes....
OMG...You really have one that spews vomit. I thought you were pulling my leg. <LOL>

SweetBabyJ
07-02-2004, 05:44 PM
I toldja. But- did you save it? ;) :D ;)

prestonsega
07-02-2004, 08:35 PM
.Judy...hydrangeas are challenging blooms regardless of your painting style . I had a go at it this past spring..so I appreciate your current work. Yours are coming along beautiful!

Mikki Petersen
07-02-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm so bummed...none of the animations are working on my screen. I could really use that guy who spews...

judwal
07-02-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm so bummed...none of the animations are working on my screen. I could really use that guy who spews...
OH no...you didn't get to see Bart's tush!

Okay...I've spent a little more time with this pastel and Barry. Here is my next installment of progress on this piece.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2004/43597-C_Hydrangea_2_Reduced.jpg

Mikki Petersen
07-03-2004, 01:49 AM
Judy, your persistence is really paying off! I love this painiting already...it is rich and full of interest. You go girl!

No, I didn't get to see Bart's bum but I intuited that was what I was supposed to get :crying: No Bart...no barf...

Ruth Grinstead
07-03-2004, 02:53 AM
Hi Judy

These Hydrangeas sure are beautiful. The colours the shapes are gorgeous :clap: .I wonder if I should head off to HMV for some Barry, no I don't think I am quite ready for that :D .

Ruth

judwal
07-03-2004, 08:29 AM
Hi Judy

These Hydrangeas sure are beautiful. The colours the shapes are gorgeous :clap: .I wonder if I should head off to HMV for some Barry, no I don't think I am quite ready for that :D .

Ruth
Thanks...
Oh..by the way Barry is in the UK right now and will be appearing at Blenheim Palace on July 4th.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2004/43597-applause.gif

Anybody with a private jet want to fly us over to see that show? <g>

ctmobitz
07-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Judy...

Like the way your Hydrangeas are turning out. Great colors too....hope mine comes out as well. Your a tough act to follow.....I do mine to Celine Dion!!!

Keep up the great work...

Claude

pjo
07-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Judy, I'm coming in late as usual, but this is coming along very nice. I love to see the progress in paintings. The colors are wonderful, and the petal shapes, seem just right to me. I'm not a floral painter, but I do know what I like and this is going to be fantastic when done.

judwal
07-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Thank you PJ.

judwal
07-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Judy...

Like the way your Hydrangeas are turning out. Great colors too....hope mine comes out as well. Your a tough act to follow.....I do mine to Celine Dion!!!

Keep up the great work...

Claude
Celine is a fine singer too. I have a couple of her CD's that I play when Barry grows weary on me. Oh..here is something you might enjoy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2004/43597-Judy_smiling.jpg

No nasty comments Julie or I'll put that spewing smilie up for you!

meowmeow
07-03-2004, 12:59 PM
Finally...enough tushies! Back to the hydrangeas! :D (Although I have to say the tush was cute! :D)

This is coming along beautifully....I really like this one. The pinks and blues are wonderful together!

Sandy

judwal
07-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Okay..I think I'm almost ready to wrap this one up. Anyone see any glaring errors?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2004/43597-C_Hydrangea_3_reduced.jpg

bnoonan
07-03-2004, 09:47 PM
No errors but I think the image is a bit dark - I want to see more - or a daylight photo. can you do it with a flash??? Also - a close up please, pretty please (if I promise to tell Barry about you)..... Barb :clap:

judwal
07-03-2004, 10:16 PM
No errors but I think the image is a bit dark - I want to see more - or a daylight photo. can you do it with a flash??? Also - a close up please, pretty please (if I promise to tell Barry about you)..... Barb :clap:
Did you say Barry! Why of course since you asked me so nice. I'll get my trusty digital out and hop to it right away. Now...It I can just get the lighting right and ...."Trying to get the feeling again."

SweetBabyJ
07-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Barry Manilow Meets StarWars

His name was Solo, he was a smuggler

He flew the Falcon everywhere, with a two-meter lump of hair

he was in trouble, he owed to Jabba

he had to fix his credit flow, so there was just one place to go

a wretched hive, you see

of scum and villainy

The cantina in Mos Eisley was his destiny!

It was Solo, in the cantina

the beer, it don't come any greener

here with Solo, in the cantina

music and blasters and Sullustan pastas here with Solo!

He was in luck...

His name was Greedo, he wore a blaster.

He'd used it all across the land, and now he had it in his hand,

and he was waiting, waiting for Solo

when a commotion to his right looked like an entertaining fight

'Cause Doctor Evezan

wanted to do Luke in

When Kenobi pulled out a saber, Ponda lost a limb!

Here with Solo, in the cantina

it was when Luke was such a wiener

music and Wookiees and Rodian cookies here with Solo!

There was some blood..

So later Greedo ran into Solo

poor Solo had nowhere to run, 'cause he was looking down a gun

and Greedo pushed him, back to the table

where Solo said he had a stash, and Greedo asked him for the cash

But Solo's gun went blam

and Greedo's head went slam

then Solo got up and left the table, left for Alderaan!

Here with Solo, in the cantina

you'll find every wierd Tattooiner

liquids distilling and infrequent killing here with Solo!

come try your luck..

come try your luck.

:D :D :D :D :D

(I *hadda*. It was there....)

Lovely- a close-up would be a true treat. Your work is solid.

judwal
07-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Love it Julie!!! :clap:

Okay...I got some shots of this hydrangea. I increased the light on the painting and I took three details.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2004/43597-Hydrangea_reduced.jpg

I want to thank the academy and especially Barry Manilow without whom this painting wouldn't have been possible. You were my inspiration and you helped me make it through the rain.

Barry..."You write the songs" and "I paint the pictures."

CarlyHardy
07-04-2004, 01:12 AM
I love your florals and thanks for doing this WIP! One thing does bother me....the two pink blooms on the left side....both same colors, same values, same shapes....

Maybe cover and decide if they can be cropped? or increase the size of one....tone down because they're so on the edge?

You achieve some of the most beautiful colors....I love watching them 'bloom'
carly

judwal
07-04-2004, 09:02 AM
I love your florals and thanks for doing this WIP! One thing does bother me....the two pink blooms on the left side....both same colors, same values, same shapes....

Maybe cover and decide if they can be cropped? or increase the size of one....tone down because they're so on the edge?

You achieve some of the most beautiful colors....I love watching them 'bloom'
carly
Yes..you are right. I'll have to decide how to treat this. Cropping would of course be the easiest. Hmmm..what to do now?

I cropped one in my photo program and in the other I changed the size of the top pink blossom and darkened the lower pink blossom. Which one do you think is the best solution?

Kitty Wallis
07-04-2004, 04:21 PM
I've enjoyed watching this develop. Nice colors, space, forms. A lovely piece.

I prefer the composition with the changes in the pink blossoms, even tho the photo shop colors are a bit bazaar. I think the composition suffers when you crop the left.

bnoonan
07-04-2004, 07:38 PM
I agree with Kitty - lose the color from Photoshop but include the shapes. Glad you included the close ups - they are really great.

I now have to kill Julie who has lodged Barry in my brain and I truly don't want to go to the Copa Cobana the rest of the day.

Drats!!! (If only I had a little thing that could spew pink out of it's mouth to send her...) :evil:

Merethe T
07-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Hi there!

Just wanted to say I love your painting - beautifully done! I agree with the others here, keep the pink flowers and change the shapes - it felt better for my eyes.

Had a good laugh while reading this thread - thanks guys! And being a U2 - girl I just have to say: What? Barry Manilow???? lol :D

Cravia

judwal
07-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Oh okay...I was already to crop but since most of you feel it will be best to change the two pink blossoms..I will do that instead. Thanks for your help.

SweetBabyJ
07-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Kill is a bit much, I think, Barb- I mean, it wasn't that insipid "She ran calling Wiiiiiii-iiiiiiild Fiiiiiiire!!" song about some idiot girl who went out in a blizzard for gawd's sake after a horse: or *ewwww* that Minnie Ripperton "Yodel-in-High-C". I didn't lodge anything by Tony Orlando in your head. I didn't sing "She's got Betty Davis Thighs" at you- and I COULD have.

Judy- take two L's of matting stuff, and hold 'em up and look and see which you like best- cropped or un-. It's your work- you decide.

And oh yeah- what were you gonna try next? A landscape????

judwal
07-05-2004, 12:28 AM
Kill is a bit much, I think, Barb- I mean, it wasn't that insipid "She ran calling Wiiiiiii-iiiiiiild Fiiiiiiire!!" song about some idiot girl who went out in a blizzard for gawd's sake after a horse: or *ewwww* that Minnie Ripperton "Yodel-in-High-C". I didn't lodge anything by Tony Orlando in your head. I didn't sing "She's got Betty Davis Thighs" at you- and I COULD have.

Judy- take two L's of matting stuff, and hold 'em up and look and see which you like best- cropped or un-. It's your work- you decide.

And oh yeah- what were you gonna try next? A landscape????
I think I've had enough of flowers for awhile. I might try a portrait. I've got a great photo of a belly dancer. I might try that.

judwal
07-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Voila!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2004/43597-C_Hydr_fini_Reduced.jpg
Finished and signed!

bnoonan
07-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Never knew that Barry sang belly dancing songs???

Sorry - Julie - slip of the fingers...

Judy - go forth and hang that baby and sell it now!!!!

Barb

SweetBabyJ
07-05-2004, 12:57 PM

Sorry - Julie - slip of the fingers...

Judy - go forth and hang that baby and sell it now!!!!

Barb
S'okay, Barb, Barely can do that to a person.

Yep, Judy- that's a nice piece- you should be very pleased. Good luck on a portrait- can't wait to see how you do. They're "different".

bnoonan
07-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Ok Judy - i hate to do this and yet I must....

I'm hijacking your thread to tell you that I'm listening to a local radio station that is having an all Disco weekend. It's so funny and has me dancing around the apartment. Barb... She's the dancing queen...Disco Queen

Katherine J
07-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Sorry I didn't get in here earlier to comment, but this is just so wonderful, even late is better than not at all. It's a lovely composition - that foreground pink one just grabs your attention. The rendering of the flowers, the fading of the background, the eye moving around the painting - truly terrific. As Barb says, sign it and sell it - or something to that effect!

Katherine

judwal
07-05-2004, 02:01 PM

Barb
<LOL>Well (not quite) but..there are a couple I could listen to..like "Copa Cabana" and a new one that I really love "They Danced."

By the way...I really love disco too!

Katherine..thank you for your nice comments.

annie14072
07-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Judy,

The finished painting is gorgeous!!

Annie

Duende
07-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Oh Judy, this painting is just gorgeous!! My daughter loves Hyrangeas and if she could see this she would go Bananas!!
Paddy

Mikki Petersen
07-06-2004, 02:42 AM
STunning finish Judy. congratulations on a job well done. I really like your technique here...every part of the painting works for me.

Dark_Shades
07-06-2004, 10:52 AM
ha ha ha...... great thread ...... great finish there Judy despite all the distractions ha ha ....... love the pic, the flowers and the colours