PDA

View Full Version : mistakes frequently made...

moler
06-29-2004, 03:15 PM
mistakes frequently made....there are many artists that don't know how to simplify a photo and go from aranging tones and then slowly go into the colours. that's why they cannot pull it out, because they get confused by details in a photo. you should first look the subject through eyelashes, and make a similar sketch; then affix the shapes and slowly catch the incarnate. you can achieve your goals only if you know how to go step by step! :)

MKathleen
06-29-2004, 06:50 PM
:) Hi moler, welcome to Wet Canvas and to the Pastel forum. I've moved your thread from the Pastel Library to the Pastel Talk forum. New threads should be posted in either Oil Pastel, Soft Pastel or the Pastel Talk forum.
We understand here in the Pastel forum when someone is new as we all were at one time. Finding ones way around and learning where to post can be a daunting experience. Looking forward to seeing your work and thank you for sharing your thoughts. If we can be of assistance to you please let us know. :)
Best,

Khadres
06-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Welcome, moler! And of course, you're right about seeing the larger shapes of the picture first before worrying about the details. I also think one of the more common mistakes of newbies (I did it too!) is fear of darks and lights. It's as if there's a timidity about using color values on the darker and lighter end of the scale and the work comes out rather blah and lifeless. Someone famous once said something akin to: "Without deep darks, you cannot HAVE true light. And without darks and lights to define middle tones, you cannot have form." The problem with working from photographs, however, is that the camera tends to swath too much in formless black or washed out white. I really wish I'd begun my art life in an environment where I was forced to work only from life until my EYES got trained to know what they are really seeing!