PDA

View Full Version : mother and child

themanda
06-29-2004, 02:11 AM
my son is spending the summer with his father, and i'm really feeling my empty nest. this is the first time i've ever been separated from him, and it's making me crazy! :) i've been trying to express somehow the feelings that this leaves me with. i'm not sure this is it, but it's getting closer.

i've cross posted this to the abstract forum as well.

bravynn
06-29-2004, 03:23 AM
empty swing set - son isn't there

feeling empty...like a part of you is missing

I understand that feeling Amanda.

hugz

visual descriptive portrays the feelings well nice job

Barb

Michael
06-29-2004, 05:14 AM
I think you have done a fine job here showing what you are feeling.
It really is a powerful piece with a sense of loss.

kbilltv
06-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Wow... real art! Powerful, Amanda! Your recent pieces seem to have connected to something. Encouragement!

themanda
06-29-2004, 09:51 AM
thank you all. obviously, this is full of emotion for me. when i sat down to paint it, i was happy and in a good mood as i'd just talked with someone very special to me. but as i continued to paint, i got sadder and sadder and by the time i was done with this i was crying. but, oddly enough, i felt much better. so the piece began and ended with happiness. i guess that's pretty parrallel to being a mother, as well, isn't it?

bill, thanks for the compliment. real art! it's starting to feel real to me, especially the last three pieces that i've done (mother nature, waiting for the rain, and this one, mother and child). i honestly feel like i've struck a style that is natural to me, and now that i'm painting my *ideas* rather than just random stuff it's starting to feel full.

i'd love any other comments on this work. please feel free to tell me what's wrong with it, too.

JulieBoyles
06-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Amanda, this brought tears to my eyes when I saw this painting! It is wonderful and I have really liked the work you've been doing lately. I like everything about them, your use of the brushes and composition and of course I really like the colors. I hope you continue along these lines, I'm eager to see more!

I hope you're doing ok without your son. I'm sure it must be lonely for you. You'll be in my thoughts. On a side note, I'll be glad to tape record my three fighting and my daughters ear piercing scream for you to play over and over when it gets to quiet for you! :evil: :evil:

Seriously, congrats on a great piece of art!!!

Julie

themanda
06-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Amanda, this brought tears to my eyes when I saw this painting!

julie, that brought tears to *my* eyes! thank you so much! what better compliment is there than that???? you just made my day.

I'll be glad to tape record my three fighting and my daughters ear piercing scream for you to play over and over when it gets to quiet for you! :evil: :evil:

i don't think it can ever get THAT quiet. :evil: but thanks for the consideration! LOL

Chiers
06-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Manda this speaks volumes!! You have conveyed a very strong emotion with exqusite simplicity! :clap: :clap:

JCoop
06-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Manda, what a powerful piece! I love that you share so much of yourself... I think it give us all permission. Yeah, this is art.

themanda
06-29-2004, 03:31 PM
thank you sherry. you're such a fine talent, that means a lot coming from you.

joel, i never share any more than i'm willing to give. :) i sent this to a friend of mine, and she said that that she imagines that is what mothers who have children in iraq feel, too. this is a personal image to me, but i think it probably conveys that sense of empty separation to any mother. no arms, no legs, no head...no child. he's as important to me as everything else.

i really appreciate all of the c&c on this! makes me want to go do another!

SoniKalien
06-29-2004, 04:25 PM
What more can I say! :clap:

but as i continued to paint, i got sadder and sadder and by the time i was done with this i was crying. but, oddly enough, i felt much better.

It isn't odd for me - painting is a way of releasing emotions, art is a form of communication - which you have done really well here. They say that a picture is worth a thousands word - but I say it's worth more, as a picture can convey a hell of a lot more than any amount of words could.

really appreciate all of the c&c on this! makes me want to go do another!

Keep it up! Go for it! :clap:

personally I like to see this sort of art coming through, I mean - it has more meaning as art (to me anyway) than a landscape or a copy of a photo.

Duende
06-29-2004, 06:26 PM
I can "see" your pain Themanda! Don't worry, the holls. will be over before you know it and he will be back again! I miss my grandchildren too and haven't been able to clear their sand toys from the sand box yet. They left almost two years ago! :crying:
Paddy