PDA

View Full Version : Some help -advice needed

dhenton
06-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi--

I am a closet C++ programmer who has written some software which takes 3D models and creates NPR (non photorealistic rendering). The program is open source and should be ready for alpha testing in Sept. Since its open source, I won't be quitting my day job anytime soon.

My question for you is, I need to assess the market for this thing and thought about posting test samples on various digital art forums to get some feedback.
Alas, I don't know of any forums!!!!

Any suggestions of forums, or any other marketing exploration suggestions welcomed.

I've attached sample output.

Thanks!!!

Jin
06-29-2004, 01:20 AM
Hi dhenton,

I'm not much of a 3D person, Corel Painter being what takes up my time, but I used to work as a tech illustrator, graphic artist, and tech writer.

The piece displayed in your message has a really nice graphic look. I could see that look being applied to, for instance, semiconductor equipment brochures and those beautiful, expensive annual reports (that's the last industry I worked in before retiring, coincidentally).

There's such a clean crisp, fresh look to that image, really I could see it being used in all kinds of advertising, possibly even manuals providing the image didn't become too abstract to be practical.

In other words, I think it's unusually nice.

I expect those who play with a mix of 2D and 3D applications to create all kinds of complex and beautiful art would also get a kick out using something like this. That is, providing it's user friendly enough not to require a Ph.D. to use it.

I wonder, too, if it could be applied to architectural illustration. That's a thought. Just think of some really snazzy kazillion dollar building designed to sit at a perfect spot to show off the big city. Maybe this could be used to sell the idea, to advertise it.

My, it seems your demonstration image has got me going in a definite marketing, corporate image, sales direction.

How fun to have such a small (dimensions) image set ones imagination off on an adventure!

I look forward to seeing more of your examples and hearing more about your software's capabilities.

Thanks for an enjoyable time.

SoniKalien
06-29-2004, 01:41 AM
Hmm.. toon shader...

You're going to have a tough time giving something away for free when your up against the likes of finalRender (Cebas) and Brazil (sputterfish) who charge a small republic for their software.

Do a google for 3ds max or so on.

Is you softaware a standalone renderer? If so, you may want to consider making a plugin version for 3ds max et al. Discreet do have a SDK for 3ds max - not sure about maya and lightwave though.

My 10c.

kptad2
06-29-2004, 01:51 AM
:D i really wish i knew what you guys wer etalking about,,, its seems sooo interesting :D any how .. you got my attention here.. had to say something .. though not helpful .. just had to ... :D

Jin
06-29-2004, 03:37 AM
kptad2,

I love that post (yours).

You bring the humanity, the heart, to the thread.

I get lost reading about 3D too, though I worked with AutoCad for several years.

Not exactly a heartwarming software, at least for me.

I like something more organic to play with, like Painter's brushes that let you make nice gooey mud pies.

Woof-a-Doof
06-29-2004, 06:07 AM
My question for you is, I need to assess the market for this thing and thought about posting test samples on various digital art forums to get some feedback.
Alas, I don't know of any forums!!!!

95% of my work is 3D and I would love to see something like your describing!
Other forums...

www.rederosity.com
www.cghaus.com
www.3dcommune.com

Also, you may want to try posting to newsgroups that are particular to 3D software and see what those folks think.

dhenton
06-29-2004, 06:11 AM
thanks so much folks!!! Just what the dr ordered!!!