PDA

View Full Version : creation of poster size prints

pr1130
06-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Can someone tell me: at what size and resolution do I need to create a file in photoshop to produce a good clear poster size print?

furrtig
06-28-2004, 05:35 PM
im not an expert, but at my office our graphics dept has a big plotter for printing out large proofs on various paper types. when ever i want a big poster size print done, he usually has me do it 36 x 42 and as high a rez as I can get it. 300 dpi is not uncommon. You can always bring it down with little to no degredation, but upsizing it will often pixel it badly. I guess the size is based on our plotter capabilities. hope it helps some.

furrtig

bloodjelly
06-28-2004, 05:38 PM
If you create a file in photoshop with the dimensions in inches of the poster you want to create, 300 DPI would be the best, 150 would suffice for a clear print. 250 is usually a nice compromise.

Michael
06-28-2004, 06:23 PM
I agree...when I have mine printed that large, the work is between 250 and 300 dpi.

peoplepainter
06-28-2004, 07:52 PM
I think furrtig is on the mark. I don't mean to throw a wrench in everything, but I work with a professional large format printer fella who can print up to 1400 dpi while most at home printers go up to around 300 dpi. When I send stuff to him for poster sized stuff (16 X 20 roughly), I always send 400dpi files and a canvas size of about 8 X 10. I have compared the 400 to the 300 and you CAN see a difference when enlarged to poster size.
They sure can be big ole files but it is worth it.
Does that help at all?

pr1130
06-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Thanks to all for the information.

I have created a file at 300 dpi for a 24 x 36 inch print (which is the target size). The main problem however is the filesize. It's 222.5 megs.

I have 750 megs of onboard ram but the file is still almost impossible to work on. Just takes forever to process each command.

Is there a simple way to overcome this?

How about working at a smaller size and/or resolution and then enlarging to the final dimensions?

Smileawhyl
06-29-2004, 01:59 AM
I do quite a few large format prints. If your system can tolerate it, try working in 600 dpi to get a clear printout at 150 dpi when enlarged. If you follow a mathmatical formula: 2"x3" at 600 dpi equals 8"x12" at 150 dpi. You will also find a significant reduction in transferable file size if you save your file in a PDF format.

SoniKalien
06-29-2004, 02:05 AM
You might have to optimize your computer for doing this sorta stuff. Maybe 2gb ram would help too.. I mean stuff like minimal programs running in the background, manually setting your swap or page file, having a grunty video card would help too... defrag.. defrag.. defrag...

bloodjelly
06-29-2004, 02:08 AM
The only thing I can think of, besides getting more RAM, is to make a lower resolution version to arrange the elements how you want them, and then place the high resolution images into the printable version once you know how you want them to look. At least then you wouldn't have to wait for your computer to calculate all the pixels while you're just playing around. Plus, if some of your art is vector text or vector line art, you wouldn't have to work with two separate versions really. Hmm...hope this helps. :)