PDA

View Full Version : The Life of a Digital Painter ...

SoniKalien
06-28-2004, 06:51 AM
Hi all,

I've been pondering... :eek:

I've discovered that I think I make a better digital painter than a traditional one. Now keep in mind that I'm talking about using a tablet to paint - not good old fashioned brushes, nor a bunch of photochop filters.

Anyway, you've seen examples of my stuff, and well, I'd like to know what sort of future I could have, career wise, with digital painting.

The way I see it, people like walking into an art gallery, and buying a canvas or WHY with paint on it. It's really there, they can really take it home to put on their real wall to really look at it and make it a part of their real environment. So if I wanted to create art/painting on my computer, how would I sell it? I mean, there's lots to think about like presentation - could I print it out? I'm thinking a printout would be like buying an art print - you're not buying the art - you're buying a copy of it. And no printout would ever look anything like a painting, especially with no surface texture.

Hm, now I've gotten an idea. How about somebody invents a, say, picture frame with a standalone lcd screen and a bit of memory, that is dedicated to displaying pictures. You could log on to the net, browse some art, download it to your picture frame, maybe even have an option where the picture changes at a predefined interval...

Anyway, I'm just finished my foundation course and am about to embark on my Diploma of Art and Creativity. My big question is:

Is there a real future for a digital painter?

Any ideas, share your experiences, got opinion? please do :)

Elvira
06-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Don't give up on the traditional stuff, the more your learn traditionally will only improve your eye for your digital work, and will give you a versaltility you wouldn't have without those skillls, at this point intime it is best to not specialize too soon in your studies, you have a lifetime of learning ahead so make the most of your time in school and get as many skills as possible, when you grow into your vision you will have a deep set of skils to draw from. Also you will have a better understanding of others work. There will be times when only knowledge of the traditional methods will give you the skills needed to complete some projects, I think you will find that if you are looking to make a carreer of any kind of art a soild understanding of as possible will be very useful.

Digiatal Art like all art has a future and at the moment it is a wide open and growing field, and is only limited by our imagination, and bias. Edie

Chiers
06-28-2004, 01:32 PM
In my opinion there is a huge market for a digital artist if they are good, and actively seek it. Think about it, how are animated movies created? Art you see in magazine illustrations, etc, etc.

If you are looking at more traditional aproaches a digital painting can be made to look just like a traditional painting, printed out on canvas, framed, the works!

So is there a future in it, depends on the artist, the quality, and the market. Pretty much the same as non digital art.

Chiers
06-28-2004, 01:35 PM
I just wanted to add that once an artist learns how the programs work digital art is easier because of undo, and no waste. Therefore many digital artists are better at digital than traditional. Myself included. LOL

Michael
06-28-2004, 04:13 PM
They do make a frame with a digital screen...I think it is from sharper image...it cost a ton though so I didn't really look to close when I saw it.

If you are doing static work, why not print it out, on whatever you wish...paper, canvas, or what have you.

nancy_ellen56
06-28-2004, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=SoniKalien]Hi all,

, I'd like to know what sort of future I could have, career wise, with digital painting.

The way I see it, people like walking into an art gallery, and buying a canvas or WHY with paint on it. It's really there, they can really take it home to put on their real wall to really look at it and make it a part of their real environment. So if I wanted to create art/painting on my computer, how would I sell it? I mean, there's lots to think about like presentation - could I print it out? I'm thinking a printout would be like buying an art print - you're not buying the art - you're buying a copy of it. And no printout would ever look anything like a painting, especially with no surface texture.

In answer to your questions, I believe there is a future in digital art. Book illustration for one. Also I too make a better digital artist than traditional but am learning traditional and it is helping me tremendously with my digital painting.
I have and do sell my digital artwork. I print the pictures on water color paper or good quality sketch paper. Actually one of my customers set the price I get for a numbered print. Of course I also only print a certain number of each picture and when I have sold that many, then I take that particular disk and put it away. When I first started I had no ideal if they would sell or if people would like them, but the market is limited only by your own imagination. Some examples of digital art markets would be illustration, advertising, greeting cards, calenders, and also traditional art galleries, interior decoration.
People like buy limited edition prints also as they are not near as expensive as a real canvas with oil. Paint your pics, only produce one of a kind, when you have printed it to your liking erase it from your harddrive, whala a one of a kind original, treat it as you would a water color. Remember to set the colors with a fixative as they will run. They print out very lovely. My mother n laws walls are lined with my paintings and my family and friends love seeing my latest work. Paint away and have fun....-

kptad2
06-28-2004, 07:27 PM
The way I see it, people like walking into an art gallery, and buying a canvas or WHY with paint on it. It's really there, they can really take it home to put on their real wall to really look at it and make it a part of their real environment. So if I wanted to create art/painting on my computer, how would I sell it? I mean, there's lots to think about like presentation - could I print it out? I'm thinking a printout would be like buying an art print - you're not buying the art - you're buying a copy of it. And no printout would ever look anything like a painting, especially with no surface texture.:)

ive have been pondering the same thing... you definetly have worded it alot better than i could have... would people consider it an original if its digital? would you be able make to where a buyer(s) pay a bit more if they want to be only one who has a particuar piece ..etc etc etc..?? i have been racking my brain about this alot..

i like tradition paints but like said already the undos and no waste factor is a big plus IMO anyway thanks for asking this .. im just as curious as you .. kim

Woof-a-Doof
06-29-2004, 06:26 AM
Yezzzz....very true, I have seen your work. I think of you as a Digital Artist, rather than a Digital Painter...Semantics, I know. I have seen 3D and 2D from you. Digital Painting looks like just one of your talents, but over all I think you are a Digital Artist.

There are many many applications for Digital work, as has already been mentioned. These are the kinda things I myself am looking into. Also, I tend to think, ironically, that as Digital Artist we do a dis-service to our efforts by showing and trying to sell in the same place, the internet.

Sounds bad I know. Our own medium, Digital, is almost cheapened by the internet. People can see the work, even download it, anytime they wanna see it, they can pull it up. Why buy it?

The biggest impact I have witnessed is when people see a gilcee of digital work. Here is when people really oooooohhhhhh ahhhhhhhhh. Our medium works with intangable, namely, zeros & ones. People can't touch, or feel our efforts. For our medium to have real impact, I think the work must be made tangable.

And as far as people wanting to by the original, hmmmm. Why not offer them the work file on CD-ROM. This doesnt quarantee "original" to the buyer, but this is how our own integrity comes into play.

I think there is a wide open field for Digital Artist! And I try and remember, Best Selling Artist, doesn't mean Best Artist.......It means just Best in Sales, and thats a whole nother animal.