PDA

View Full Version : New tutorial on twisties

flamewerks
06-27-2004, 10:36 PM
I have added a twistie tutorial to my web site for a recent student. Thought it might be of interest here, as well.

Twistie Tutorial (http://www.flamewerks.com/tutorials/latticino_tutorial.htm)

Let me know if you see any typos or if the information is confusing. It's hard to proofread your own writing, you know. When I get some time, I'll upload it to WC. I'm on dialup with a bad connection, so uploading images can be difficult at times.

Thanks,
Mona

Listenup
06-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Let me know if you see any typos or if the information is confusing. It's hard to proofread your own writing, you know.

Great Tutorial Mona. I did notice that the first picture (the one of the punties) does not come up. Other than that, looks great! I love your images.

-Kay

!Karen
06-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Ditto, nice job. But no pic on the first line.

Thanks for that information!!

:)Karen

CmdyNTrgdy
06-27-2004, 10:49 PM
I think it looks good as well.. and maybe this is the best time to clear my confusion.

Doesn't hot glass stick to metal? Or if you dip it in water afterwards, will it break off? Only dipping tweezers was mentioned in the tutorial..nothing about removing the glass from the mandrel.

Tink
06-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Ooh! I love it! Clear, concise... Wish I could draw like that! LOL! Same for me though: No first picture.

Melinda Melanson
06-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Mona,

Wonderful Tutorial!! And not just helpful for making twisties, but your heat color pic, and torch working pic is very helpful too.

Please may I add the link to my tutorial pages???

paulette
06-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Thanks. Great tutorial! :clap: :clap:

flamewerks
06-28-2004, 12:24 AM
Hey folks, thanks for the compliments. I just tried to get back into my site to check the picture of the punties, but my site is not responding. So, I have my tech guy looking into it. I know I was close on my disk quota (I'm such an image packrat...) and that may be what's happening. Hopefully, I'll be able to get in before tomorrow morning and fix it.

Chris: Yes, the glass sticks to the metal. That's why they work great for punties. The wet tweezers are only to break the last end of the twisty off the punty. This is easier and safer than trying to flame cut a hot twisty that can swing back and burn your knuckles.

Normally, you would drop the first punty in the water immediately after flame cutting. The second punty would go in immediately after breaking the twisty free by touching it with the wet tweezers. Most of the glass will come off the punties while they are in the water. If glass is still left on the punty, a quick tap on the edge of the water jar will knock it off. I'll add those steps to clear up any confusion.

-Mona

Steph'sBeadCorner
06-28-2004, 04:35 AM
That was just awesome!! The pictures are excellent and are really really helpful!

Steph

:clap: :clap:

satnin
06-28-2004, 06:44 AM
Great job Mona!

Brindelle
06-28-2004, 07:19 AM
WOW! I'm a newbie and this is a great tutorial! I'll wait for the update before I print (can't get that first photo either). Thank you so much!

Ellen Altamore
06-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Thank you very much, Mona. I'm in a major slump and wondering what I'd work on today. My twisties have always been hit or miss - mostly miss - so now I know what I'll be doing with my day.

Rosebud4
06-28-2004, 08:30 AM
First of all, let me tell you how timely and helpful this tutorial is - I'm latticino-challenged and trying to improve, and this helped me figure out why I'm getting those thin, lumpy, overly twisted, mangled pieces! Great illustrations! Fine work! BTW, I could see all the pics.

On the editing note:
Spelling: should be interchangeably
Step 4: should read separate more quickly
Reword step 11g
A minor point - You might want to make it clear in the beginning that the second color rod is the application rod.

Thanks for showing this to us!

DebbieSue
06-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Very clear and illustrations are great! Thanks!

Debbie

flamewerks
06-28-2004, 08:38 AM
The image is fixed and thanks for the edits, Rosebud4. It should be fixed now.

-Mona

Peg
06-28-2004, 10:26 AM
What a great job!!! Putting it in one of my how-to notebooks. Thanks so much. Peg

Crazy Woman
06-28-2004, 12:24 PM
WOW! Outstanding job! Great tutorial. Great to have the heat control diagram. Can I ask permission to link/add to my website with credit to you?

Thanks, Mona!

scupltorgirl
06-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Looked at it, printed it out. :D

Love the "glow diagram"!

Listenup
06-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Now that the picture is fixed and you cleared up about getting the glass off the punties, this Tutorial is a keeper, and worthy of 5 stars. Thanks!!!

-Kay

GorgeousCreations
06-28-2004, 05:12 PM
Wonderful tutorial!!!!! Thanks.. I printed it out!!

Rosebud4
06-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Just tried following your directions.... and while my twisties still aren't perfect, they're MUCH better, and it gives me incentive to keep trying. Thanks! Anne

valerie_folly
06-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Have tried lots of ways with varying success........will try this. Great tutorial BTW, clear and thorough! Thank you!

flamewerks
06-29-2004, 01:33 AM
WOW! Outstanding job! Great tutorial. Great to have the heat control diagram. Can I ask permission to link/add to my website with credit to you?

Thanks, Mona!

Leslie, my dear, feel free to link to your web site. Melinda, if you're so inclined, please add it to your tutorials page.

Thanks for all the compliments. One of the concepts I find the most difficult to teach new students is to watch the glow rather than the color of the glass. We spend alot of time discussing the glow while they are making beads. After a few beads, they begin to get it and life at the torch becomes must easier. I think the scale will really help as a future reference. I may print it out very large and hang it on the studio wall right next to the POOP poster.

Next, a tutorial on the lollypop latticino. :)

BTW, I use Macromedia Fireworks to create the illustrations.

-Mona

Lapislazuli
06-29-2004, 11:27 AM
I have added a twistie tutorial to my web site for a recent student. Thought it might be of interest here, as well.

Twistie Tutorial (http://www.flamewerks.com/tutorials/latticino_tutorial.htm)

Let me know if you see any typos or if the information is confusing. It's hard to proofread your own writing, you know. When I get some time, I'll upload it to WC. I'm on dialup with a bad connection, so uploading images can be difficult at times.

Thanks,
Mona

:clap: :clap:
Hi Mona, a great preceptoral, thanks, thanks.
Lapislazuli

Jinx.Garza
06-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Pretty cool! :clap:

crsann
06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Great job Mona, you are the bomb ;) can't wait to see you at glass stock. Looking forward to the lolipop tut as well
chrisann

Rac
06-30-2004, 03:43 PM
Now that I should be able to make an acceptable twistie, is there a chance someone might do something as clear on how to get the darned thing to go neatly onto a bead without melting? I know as a newbie, I must put in the practice, and I do about 4 hours every day. Wish there were some other beadmakers in Columbia, SC, so I could watch.
Carolyn

crsann
06-30-2004, 04:39 PM
The easiest way to apply the twistie at least for me is.....heat the spot you want to start on the bead so that it is glowing hot and then apply the twistie so that it sticks, now gently heat the bead (you will be in the edge of the flame, with the bead getting the heat and the twistie above it) as the bead glows gently press the twistie down onto the bead slowly turning at the same time. The best way to explain I guess is to say that you are heating a spot and moving slowly around the bead so that the twistie is being "pushed" into a spot that is already heated and is behind where the flame is heating the next spot. I hope I didn't confuse you more. :p
chrisann

Rac
06-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Chrisann, does that mean the left side of the bead will be next to the flame thus the bead is not in front/below the flame? When I do it this way, the left side of the bead begins to get red and then the stringer/twistie melts. Should I be further out in the flame? Stringer control is surely driving me nuts. Of course, I have only been making beads since March and I have a few other issues such as encasing and properly placed dots, too. However, sometimes the things turn out OK, and I am determined if nothing else.

flamewerks
06-30-2004, 09:32 PM
Now that I should be able to make an acceptable twistie, is there a chance someone might do something as clear on how to get the darned thing to go neatly onto a bead without melting? I know as a newbie, I must put in the practice, and I do about 4 hours every day. Wish there were some other beadmakers in Columbia, SC, so I could watch.
Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Here is the way I teach my students.

Make your base bead. Allow it to cool to no glow. Work in the back-flame and wrap the twistie on backwards from the usual way you wrap glass. This allows the twistie to soften while protecting the base bead from over heating. After completing the wrap, you and nip and tuck as needed to match the twist.

Like so...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2004/10204-Twisty_wrap.gif

Remember to do this in the back-flame where you can control the heat on the twistie and not worry about the bead.

HTH,
Mona

crsann
06-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Carolyn, Mona's drawing is probably the better way for you to learn to do this application, it's much better explained anyway LOL. Remember though to go right back in the back flame after the nip and tuck or that sucker is gunna pop off all over the place.
chrisann
ps another great pic Mona ;)

Rac
06-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Thanks to both of you. This is really a very clear tutorial, Mona. Good job! You must be a great teacher. I will definitely go out and practice it. And as soon as we figure out how to make pictures of the results, I will show you :eek: . Carolyn

flamewerks
06-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Carolyn, Mona's drawing is probably the better way for you to learn to do this application, it's much better explained anyway LOL. Remember though to go right back in the back flame after the nip and tuck or that sucker is gunna pop off all over the place.
chrisann
ps another great pic Mona ;)

Right, right, Chris. Sorry... I'm usually standing right next to the student coaching. :)

Carolyn, as soon as you flame cut the twistie off, even before you nip and tuck, rotate the bead in the flame 2-4 times to get the whole twistie back to dark orange, being careful to not overheat the dangling end. Then tuck the end in to place.

Thanks for the assist, Chris!

-Mona

bobkeyes
10-18-2013, 10:46 AM
I know this is a very old tut, but is there anywhere a newbee can find it??

Thanks a lot.

Bob Keyes

Crazy Woman
10-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Try this for a lot of great tuts!

www.cauldroncreations.com/tutorialindex.html‎

Ellen Altamore
10-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Les - that site no longer exists.

MinaBVO
07-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Anyone have this tut available and willing to share? I am seriously twistie challenged and need all the help I can get...thanks

Crazy Woman
07-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Email me at leslie (at) crazywomanglass (dot) com I'll can give you some hints to help.

MinaBVO
07-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Leslie, I sent you an email