PDA

View Full Version : Animated text/poetry -- Flash?

bigblackbox
06-27-2004, 04:04 PM
As I just mentioned in a previous post/question, I'm new to this. So please excuse the lack of knowledge. I've seen a technique I like, but I'm not sure how it is created - what software is used, etc. The link below has a few examples by one guy. Is this something that would be created in Flash? Made with other software and converted to a Flash animation? Is the software required for this pretty simple? Could it get more complicated - adding more non-text, visual elements - with the same software, or does that start to get messy?

Animated text/poetry (http://www.queer-arts.org/y2gay/stones/index.html)

SoniKalien
06-27-2004, 04:25 PM
It looks like it was made with Macromedia Director - it didn't work for me but I looked at the source.

Learning to create things in Flash and Director is almost an art in itself. If you want to have a look, download the trial versions and do a few tutorials that come with it.

Personally, I despise Flash, however at the moment there's not much other option for vector animation on the web.

If you want more info and stuff for Flash, www.flashkit.com is the place to go.

bigblackbox
06-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks. I'm definitely not looking for a steep learning curve, and I would think (but what do I know) that animations like the ones in the link would be pretty straightforward to create... If that was made with Flash Director, could something similar have been done with other (easier/more intuitive) software? I'm not even really familiar with what's out there, or what you can do with it. Thanks.

CrystalSky
06-27-2004, 09:59 PM
I don't want to head you in the wrong direction, because I'm not even sure of what your talking about, but I downloaded GIMP 2.0 (free-not trial) and you can create animation etc (I know I saw the word vector somewhere :confused: )--look at this tutorial site first to see if it's what your looking for, like I said, I don't want to waste your time with my two cents...just trying to be helpful-not many people know about this software.

http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html

Jet
06-27-2004, 11:44 PM
It didn't work on my rig either..
..and this is part of what i've got on screen

.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2004/27782-a-media.jpg

I went and looked at his gallery (http://www.brianwhiteillustration.com/index.html)....:clap:

Kool

CrystalSky
06-28-2004, 12:04 AM
Wow, that's what I wanna be when I grow up :D What a great illustrator!

Smileawhyl
06-28-2004, 10:14 AM
I'm just learning Flash and that is what it appears to be. I got the same box and then when I went back to the link I had the flashing box. That seems to be a problem with Flash, or its overuse, the delay.

If you are into poetry, it was worth the wait, but still frustrating and not a very good way to present material if you want to capture someone's attention immediately.

kptad2
06-28-2004, 12:04 PM
i also have to say you probably can get it from macro too .. i think its pretty cool ( i liek poerty ) it got my attention even with teh wait for each part .. i am definetly interested in kow what you find and come up with ..

Michael
06-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Great link jorge...Thanks!

bigblackbox
06-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the responses. Sorry to those who couldn't view the link - it's basically animated poetry, with mostly words and a few basic graphics. (You do have to click on the "click here" words, not on the flashing box, to get it to run - and then you have to click at different points of the animation. I think there are 4 or 5 separate animations you can choose at the beginning.)

I have looked at Flash a bit, and it seems like this kind of thing can be done with that software. But it also looks much more complicated than I thought - e.g., working with one letter at a time. But maybe the Flash manual is more complicated than the actual work involved.

GIMP, which someone suggested, appears to be a Photoshop-type program. I can't tell whether animation is possible with it or not. (On a tangent, that's how I feel with all this software... there is so much jargon that I can never tell what something can actually do. I spend hours downloading free trials and getting hopelessly frustrated and confused trying to play around with a very complicated program that is either not what I need, or way too much for what I need.)

bigblackbox
06-29-2004, 02:51 AM
I've been playing around with this on Flash, and unless I'm missing something (not unusual), it seems pretty labor intensive, especially if you use a lot of text - breaking everything into letters, putting them on different layers, etc. And apparently breaking apart words makes for a much bigger file (inevitable, I guess). You can do a fair amount of text animation with PowerPoint -- there's gotta be something between that and Flash MX? But something that could be played as flash or quicktime.

SoniKalien
06-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Yes, Flash is very labour intesive - I've worked with it enough to know that I don't want to work with it any more.

I feel a lot could be improved, especially the vector side of things (eg if you create a square partially covering a circle, then part of the circle is lost unless you create the square on a new layer :rolleyes: )

I have yet to play with Corel RAVE with apparently exports to flash - it comes in the CorelDraw suit of apps.