PDA

View Full Version : swan--first post

WaitingforJesus
06-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Hello everyone...
I have posted a few time here on WC in other forums and thought I would have a try here. Have been watching everyone's wonderful paintings here.

This is a digi painting of a pic I took at a local lake here in Florida and the orig.

This was painted in Painter 8.
Took the orig. created new layer. made a line drawing over it and transfered that layer to a new image and painted away. I recently got a new wacom and still getting used to it. Makes me wonder how I ever tried with a mouse! :p Although I have seen some that are great!
All comments on improvement would be great!

Thanks!
Kay

Andrew Rance
06-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Welcome to WC Digital Art Forum. This looks great, very painterly, looks like you have got the hang of the Wacom. Lake Okeechobee??

WaitingforJesus
06-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks Andrew for your comments...
Nope not lake Okeechobee
Actually this is just a small lake in the Lakeland area...
such a beautiful little lake...

Kay

CrystalSky
06-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Kay- I don't even want to critique it because it is so beautiful :clap: , but you are looking for improvement.
I think you have given such personality to this swan, so if that's what you are shooting for by all means don't change the aspects that make it so (eyes a bit longer-almost as if smiling) Personally I would be torn changing the eyes at all for this reason, but I might focus on making the neck more graceful-if you look at the ref pic, you can sort of visualize the muscle beneath. If you concentrate on this you may, very easily, be able to thin it out just a bit in some areas, although like I said this also can give it personality that you saw at the time, which the picture might not show...The other aspect I might work on would be where the head and neck join. The ref pic almost looks as if the swan has a "cheek" which ties in with the eye and the neck, pay close attention to shading here (to differentiate between the head and neck), it makes a big difference.

I am by no means an expert (really a long time beginner), but I do believe I have a pretty good eye for a beginner. Let me know if I've been of any help.

Even if you don't change a thing, I think this is just beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap:

-Crystal

SoniKalien
06-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Awesome! It looks really good!

Just a small point - I can see where you have painted or blended around the swans' body - I would have painted the background in entirety, then created a new layer (switch off 'pick up underlying colour') and paint the swan on top, in the new layer. That way you can easily make adjustments to the background if need be, without affecting the swan, and visa versa. Ain't computers wonderful! :D

Jet
06-27-2004, 11:14 PM
I don't want to sound like an echo here ...so i won't..but..this is too kool pic..!!

i like it lots..
..i second Sonik about the edges around the swans body..
..it can be done as said ...and i guess at some point this was filtered using the excellent 'Paint Engine' filters..
when using this engine one has to go over the edges smudging a little to fade away the pixels-cramming effect it does, so as to not leave strong leftovers; It can be done once flattened or on its own layer as well.

excellent job.

Regards

WaitingforJesus
06-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Thank you CrystalSky, SonicKalien and Jet...

Your comments and instructions were great!!! :clap: That is what I need.
I forgot to say I used Painter to do this...

Actually Sonikalien, I did start as you said by doing the background and layers... but I realised about 3/4 way through I forgot to create a new layer... :rolleyes: so therefore the water is actually on the canvas...I start out soo good and then start messing up by painting on the wrong layers! :mad:

I had tweaked it a little (had the eye highlight too much and so I lessened that (Hi Gloria, thanks for the sugg. ;) ) Do I need to just make it darker like the ref picture??
I will work on defining and smimming down the neck and that jawline

Thanks again!
Kay

Michael
06-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Anything I say will be repetitive...so I will just say..IMPRESSIVE!!

ANd welcome to the forum!!!!!!

Always happy to see another Floridian here...are you an aries by chance?...LOL

peoplepainter
06-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Super job and welcome to WC! Hope you keep posting. I loved your painting.
Lisa