cagathoc
09-30-2001, 11:12 AM
detail

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2001/newbeachdet.jpg

jheinrich
09-30-2001, 12:08 PM
cindy.

wow.

I don't think this is finished, quite, but I love what you have going on and don't mean to disrupt the 'feel' of it. I wish for a bit more contrast- but no more detail, the shapes are working well together and very suggestive of MANY goings-on.

I have a theory I've been trying to grasp, which is to put your brightest bright right next to you darkest dark. I'd love to see this treatment here. This piece seems a medley of mid-tones, if you were to add a light light and dark dark, I think it would really make this one oomph! sing! yes!

interested in what other's think, I'm sure it's a matter of taste ...

good piece!

jeanette*

Impulse
09-30-2001, 12:15 PM
i love the geometries in this
deliberate and powerful
your color decisions accentuate
the geometry
the figure abstraction is delicious
you're still on a roll

cagathoc
09-30-2001, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by jheinrich
I wish for a bit more contrast-

I have a theory I've been trying to grasp, which is to put your brightest bright right next to you darkest dark.

This piece seems a medley of mid-tones, if you were to add a light light and dark dark, I think it would really make this one oomph! sing! yes!

This all a good call and this could definitely go further.

I thought about this while painting. I left it at this stage because I liked the way that the skin and sand blend together and form one abstract pattern. It reminds me of how you kind of melt in the sun at the beach and just become a part of it all.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2001/beachedgray.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to rethink it though because I know what you are saying and it's true.

THANKS!!!

jheinrich
09-30-2001, 12:28 PM
I agree with you about the sand/bodies melding together making this strong, if you do go darker/lighter, I think a minimal amount of that would speak volumes.

:D
j*

cagathoc
09-30-2001, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Impulse
i love the geometries in this
deliberate and powerful
your color decisions accentuate
the geometry
the figure abstraction is delicious
you're still on a roll

Thanks, Impulse!

The geometry thing must be the engineer in me. ;)

jerryW
09-30-2001, 03:05 PM
itr feels tightly bound like in a sausage which I already just ate two of. (hebrew hotdogs anyway)

cagathoc
09-30-2001, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by jerryW
itr feels tightly bound like in a sausage which I already just ate two of. (hebrew hotdogs anyway)

Impulse was right about you! LOL wicked...

mclaughlin
10-01-2001, 02:28 AM
almost cubism...great colors. you´ve captured that claustrophobic feeling of crowded beach life...and life in general, at times... great work ! :clap: :clap:

ArtyHelen
10-01-2001, 07:40 AM
Woah!
I swear I felt that hit me when it came up on screen!!
Great!

Helen

cagathoc
10-01-2001, 09:00 AM
McLaughlin Cubism - I hadn't thought about it in that way; thanks!

Helen Your compliment means a lot to me; thanks!

cagathoc
10-01-2001, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by jerryW

Jerry Initially, I thought you were refering to the breasts but now I have come to another insight. I am thinking this is actually refering to basic philosophical/psychological differences.

In your work, you have open forms and connections throughout the canvas without the interuption of line. It seems like you are comfortable defining the environment in an open way.

In my work, I like to use lines/edges around forms. I am more comfortable with closed forms and boundaries. I find that boundaries, paradoxically, give me more freedom by limiting my choices.

STRUCTURE + BOUNDARIES = FREEDOM

jerryW
10-01-2001, 09:44 AM
what ever liberates you from bondage should be used in the cause of freedom providing that it does not harm others.

structure of course is required.

in my paintings, I assume that the <b>bones</b> are usually on the inside, i don't paint them directly, I try to paint as I see stuff with just a little simplification to help see better.

sometimes I see you do that too, sometimes, however, I see that you create sandboxes and use them to revert to a kind of abandon.

I do not see that abandon as freedom, so I do not yearn for sand boxes. there are very few differences between us, but it is fun pointing them out

dornberg
10-01-2001, 08:31 PM
i like the image i see
i wonder if the two solid areas at the bottom could be similarly used in one of the large areas along the top

ejfarrae
10-02-2001, 10:17 AM
dang almost let this one slip past and that would've sucked...
helen is right cindy, this is a visually strong strong piece. i love it. very effective simplification of form, strong line holding the whole thing together, wonderful combinations of colors. it flirts with cubism. it dances with fauvism. i think it's just great. the looseness of your brushstrokes is inspiring...
i hope you keep pushing in this direction.