PDA

View Full Version : STS Leeuwin

Gillette
06-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Thought you might like to see this one, I painted it in oils in 1990 when I was in hospital and my hands were recovering from paralysis, I shed a few tears doing the rigging!
My youngest daughter was a watchleader/nurse on Leeuwin for the 2 weeks of the Americas cup races in 1987 off Fremantle WA. She ended up marrying the captain. She took some wonderful pics from the crows nest, now she wonders how she ever got up there as there were no safety harnesses in those days! One time when I was sailing with her she asked me to hold onto a thick rope, as the sail filled I took off into the air, she thought it was hilarious, fortunately there was enough spare rope for me to be hauled back on deck.

It's on canvas board and 16x12inches, I wasn't brave enough to paint big in those days,and once I got back to work, I didn't paint again for 14 years.
Jane.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2004/38894-leuwin_cr.res.jpg

Marty C
06-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Hi Jane,
This is wonderful! :clap: The ship is really well rendered and the sea is superb. What a pity you didn't keep up the painting. Work really gets in the way.
I have never sailed on the Leeuwin but a friend at work was telling me an amusing story about her only last week. It seems his wife was really keen to go on a cruise, as in one of those luxurious crusie ship holidays. He told her he had booked a week long cruise over Easter, took her to Fremantle and off they sailed in the Leeuwin, straight into a gale on the other side of Rottnest Island. What's more, they put them on separate watches! The first night of the gale in huge seas the cook decided to cook spaghetti bolognaise and when the seasick, exhausted crew came below they were greeted with the overpowering smell of parmesan cheese with the predictable result. :D
Luckily she ended up absolutlely loving it but is careful what she asks for now.
Great work!

VeldaJ
06-27-2004, 12:40 PM
This is excellent, Jane. I can really feel the wind billowing in her sails. She rides well in the water and the sea is superbly realistic.

Gillette
06-29-2004, 08:31 AM
Marty and Joy
Thanks for looking and your nice comments.
I don't think I'll carry on the 'sea-sick'stories, but I have a few too!
Jane.