PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel Study

digistyle
09-30-2001, 12:09 AM
This was my first real attempt with oil pastels. I didn't know a lot about the medium, so I improvised a bit. I did quite a bit of layering, then I blended using a paper towel and Q-tips. Any techniques or tips that you're willing to share are appreciated.

digistyle

Note: The facial colors are more subtle on the original than on the scanned image.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2001/oilpastel.JPG

Bobbie
10-02-2001, 01:48 AM
A terrific book on all types of pastels is Bill Creevy's book entitled The Pastel Book. I also know there is an oil pastel painters group - perhaps if you input oil pastels in your search engine you could find it. Good Luck - your painting is lovely.

lismith
10-02-2001, 03:57 PM
This is fantastic! I've tried oil pastels and never been able to do a thing with them. And for your first real attempt, wow!

digistyle
10-04-2001, 10:09 PM
Thanks, Bobbie. I'll keep an eye out for Creevy's book the next time I'm in Borders. I did find the group you mentioned. Here's the link if anyone else is interested: The Oil Pastel Association/United Pastelists of America (OPA/UPA) (http://www.allart.com/opa-upa.htm)

lismith: Thanks! I treated the pastels as if they were crayons. It seemed to work for this particular image.

digistyle

Bobbie
10-06-2001, 11:35 AM
The more I see your painting - the more I love it!!!
Another place to search for a book is E-bay and also: Advancedbookexchange.com, half.com, bookfinder.com for used books. I go to these sites frequently to find used/out-of-print books. It's much less expensive. You will really enjoy The Pastel Book. I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Creevy at the IAPS convention in Santa Fe last Spring - he's such a knowledgeable guy as well as a great artist.

digistyle
10-10-2001, 03:20 PM
Bobbie,

I had the chance to browse through The Pastel Book. Looks like a lot of good info and examples. I've put this one on my "to buy" list. Thanks for the suggestion.

digistyle

Abu Haidar
10-12-2001, 01:15 AM
Hi Digistyle,

Sorry, for my late response...
You did a great job. Oil pastel has a different character with pastel and oil colour. Since you blended it...you will lost the real colour .. the colours is mixing. Wendee told me to blend it with turps .. but we'll lost the shine of the colour.
I suggest you to manage your colouring phases...then blend it with your fingers.

I did it..and I am satisfy with the result...

Abu Haidar :D