PDA

View Full Version : Oil on Paper...its great

Yax
06-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Yesterday an artist friend of mine suggested painting oil on paper. I was reluctant at first, but this afternoon painted this 9x11" oil on 140# paper. I reall like the feel of painting on paper, and I'm sure I'll do more in the future.
Yax

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2004/2437-studio_painting_06_26_04.jpg

Marty C
06-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Nice one Yax. Did you apply gesso to both sides of the paper? Quite unusual to hear of oil on paper, it is more common for arylic and of course watercolor.

Richard Saylor
06-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Nice painting. For permanence it's a good idea to seal the paper so that it doesn't absorb any oil. I like shellac for this, or as Marty suggests, gesso. Unfortunately, paper has the same problem as canvas: oil makes it deteriorate.

VeldaJ
06-27-2004, 01:58 PM
It certainly seems to have worked well, Yax..lovely breaking tops to the waves. My only slight nitppick would be the horizon line of the sea. It doesn't appear to be quite straight and my brain is telling me that water doesn't naturally run uphill.

Yax
06-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Nice one Yax. Did you apply gesso to both sides of the paper? Quite unusual to hear of oil on paper, it is more common for arylic and of course watercolor.

Thanks everyone,
Marty, I used Liquid applied on only the one side, and allowed it to dry overnight. Yax