PDA

View Full Version : WDE June 26 Two boats WIP

stonewhiteclown
06-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Hello people! I finally received my digital camera, so decided to have some fun with WDE today :) Moreover, images are AWESOME! Thank you, Nina! I took boats, and they seem hot today:)

OPs on A4 size watercolour paper. First I did underpainting with pigments:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2004/30926-TWO_BOATS_01_underpainting.JPG

I had to let it dry, so there wasn't much time left before 2 hrs mark. I started to apply OPs here and there, and now I'm off to sleep, see you tomorrow :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2004/30926-TWO_BOATS_02_2hours.JPG

Dyin
06-26-2004, 07:59 PM
that's a fabulous underpainting, Alex! Can't wait to see the final on this...sweet dreams!

sundiver
06-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Yes, this is looking like the popular image this weekend. Great start- keep us posted!

Europa
06-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Watching this with interest Alex.

Pat

Drumbeat-trish
06-26-2004, 09:14 PM
sleep tight Alex -look forward to seeing the rest of this :)

MKathleen
06-26-2004, 09:56 PM
Excellent under painting and thank for the progress images. Will look forward to your updates. :clap:

cmwynn
06-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Is this where you use alcohol on the pastels for the underpainting? It looks good so far.
Connie

Deano
06-27-2004, 01:32 AM
Great looking start, Alex. I'm a sucker for WIPs...aren't digital cameras fun? :)

CAULFIELD
06-27-2004, 01:40 AM
Good start - will be watching :)
Nicole

leojacko
06-27-2004, 02:42 AM
Good morning & Great start, Alex,

I'm pleased that you chose this one, it's one of my favourites.

I love the colours you are working with. I have never used OP's myself and will be looking forward to see how you develop this.

Good to see the various stages - aren't digi cameras wonderful?

Nina

VeldaJ
06-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Great start Alex. Look forward to seeing the end result.

dabblerdot
06-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Hey, Alex, now you have one of the most fun toys ever invented ! Gotta love those digital cameras ! (I had to get used to accepting that the picture I get is always one second later than the picture I really wanted because of the time lapse between my finger pressing the shutter and the actual registration of the image :D :D )
You've got a great start on the underpainting, and I'm glad you are posting this as a wip, because they are so great to follow along. (I am laughing at myself, because I see clearly now, thanks to your painting, that the structure I thought was the side of a building is actually stairs ! :o :D )
Carry on the good work ! :) :clap: :) I'll be back !

YYcat
06-27-2004, 04:15 PM
A great start already with the underpainting. :D

Charlie's Mum
06-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Will be back to witness developments! So far, so good! :)

stonewhiteclown
06-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Thank you for your interest and kind comments! I liked that underpainting in its simplicity too, actually was afraid that my pastel work would make things worse :) But no, I've managed to avoid bad mistakes so far. This is after another 1 1/2 hours I've spent on it today. The paper has very rough texture, that causes visible (light) holes. Stomp didn't help much, so I think I'll do some turp glazing. Hope to finish it another day. Reds/brown tints are slightly off because it's night time shot, I'll make daylight shot as I finish it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2004/30926-TWO_BOATS_03_3hours.JPG

Connie, no, consider this sort of a watercolour stuff. I'd use alcohol gladly if only I know where to get it here locally.

As for the camera, it totally lacks everything imaginable :) What you expect from $5 eBay deal? :D

ps sorry I'll check everyone's paintings later, tomorrow probably.

Dyin
06-27-2004, 09:28 PM
love that cobalt color and really like the oar in the green boat...mine would probably have floated out of sight by now :p Did you find the underpainting helped much?

stonewhiteclown
06-28-2004, 04:03 AM
love that cobalt color and really like the oar in the green boat...mine would probably have floated out of sight by now :p Did you find the underpainting helped much?
I don't know, probably not exactly much :) If you take another look at the first and second pictures you'll see how drastically it lighten when dries (area under lower boat). So it came out too light to let it shine through. Even so, I think it has an impact on the resulting colour as the opacity of the OPs is never 100%. AND I utterly don't like to work on white. A can see no drawbacks in fact, it will be even more useful for me with a little practice.