PDA

View Full Version : It Rained Most of the Show but...tada...

meowmeow
06-26-2004, 05:38 PM
It did rain and drizzle off and on, sometimes heavy, for the outdoor show I just did here in Saco, Maine. Messy...but people still came out.
I sold a bunch of cards and a few prints and then late in the day I sold on of my paisley paintings (the horizontal one with the grapes)and then....ta..da...
I won a purchase prize!!!!! I almost fell over when the woman came by my tent and handed me a ribbon and a check. I had chosen a painting in the morning to leave at the judges tent and then sort of put it out of my mind. Well, now I have a ribbon and a nice check and someone in downtown Saco is hanging my Rolling Surf painting (the one with the rocks and the rolling, raging surf)in their office. I need to call Monday and find out who got it.
SO I guess I would have to say it was a good show. I'm pleased. And pooped!
I'll check in tomorrow and see how everyone is and what you all been working on!

Sandy

Deborah Secor
06-26-2004, 06:00 PM
WHOOOHOOO!!!

Way to go, Sandy--sales and prizes! It makes rain incidental! Good, good, good for you!!!

Deborah

Khadres
06-26-2004, 07:03 PM
WONDERFUL!!! See? It was worth it, now, wasn't it??? Too cool! I'm very happy for you!

Kathryn Wilson
06-26-2004, 07:49 PM
I knew when I read the title of the thread that it was your thread - so it rained on your parade - but what a parade!

Sales and prices - woooohoooo! :clap:

Mikki Petersen
06-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Hooray for Sandy!!!

What's a little rain as long as you have a way to keep the paintings dry!?! Good for you, girl...I feel so proud of you getting out there and look how it paid off.

judwal
06-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Good for you Sandy! :clap:

meowmeow
06-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks you guys!
I have to say my eZup was terrific. It's one of the later models so it doesn't catch the rain on the roof and it did keep me and my paintings dry. It was a little weird sitting inside by myself all day but hey...it worked. ANd my daughter dropped by and hubby so I could take a break and go walk around in the rain, stretch my legs and say hello to friends who were exhibiting.
And...the best (or worst) thing was that I was right next to the KettleKorn! :D I held off till about 11am and finally broke down and bought a bag. Yum!

SweetBabyJ
06-26-2004, 09:58 PM
CONGRATULATIONS and 25 clappies for YOU!!!

Hooray!!!

You deserve all of it and more, Sandy.

DFGray
06-26-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi
congratulations....
no accident
regards
dan

CarlyHardy
06-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Sandy,
I am so happy for you!!!! :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know how awful it is to have rain when you need the sun and fresh breezes and customers!!!! but what a great ending to a gloomy day!!

carly

Dyin
06-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Sandy, that is sooooooo wonderful!!! I've never even heard of a purchase prize...that is really cool and well deserved. So glad you sold some things too...I hope it just keeps getting better!

meowmeow
06-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Thanks Julie, Dan, Carly & Sue!

I never heard of a purchase prize either! I still don't quite understand exactly how it works but basically when you get to the show you can choose one painting to put in the judging area. I don't know that they have an actual judge but I guess the locals get to vote and there is a Best of Show prize at the end. Then some of the local business people buy raffle tickets or something. Then the ones that "win" get to choose paintings for their business place downtown. The people who did the "chosen" paintings get ribbons and a very nice check...frankly more than I would have put on the painting. ANd it will be put somewhere relatively public like the bank or something. I need to find out where mine is going.
Anyhow it was interesting and I had no complaints! So I basically "sold" the painting and got a ribbon to boot. Kind of weird but it works.

Dyin
06-27-2004, 12:30 PM
That is really a cool idea, and having your work in a prestigious institution is great advertisement. The check part doesn't hurt either :p Again..congrats, you really earned it!

Artistammy
06-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Congratulations!! At a show I entered in recently they gave a purchase prize to everyone who sold something. And 2nd & 3rd prize didn't get anything but a ribbon --seemed wierd to me. lol

binkie
06-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Congrats!!!!

meowmeow
06-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Thanks Tammy.
And thank you, Binkie! That is really sweet!

purplelizard
06-30-2004, 01:30 AM
I've been on vacation and I'm trying to catch up on what's happening around here - and it looks like A LOT! Congrats to you, Sandy! What an absolutely uplifting event! You should be very proud!

K Taylor-Green
06-30-2004, 12:54 PM
I don't know how I missed this!! :confused: Sandy, absolutely wonderful, and totally deserved. Isn't it great when our hard work gets recognized!!?

MKathleen
07-01-2004, 01:50 AM
:clap: CONGRATULATIONS SANDY THAT AH WAY TO GO! :clap:
Best,

cjkelly
07-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Great news Sandy and well deserved.
A few days down the track and I hope that wonderful feeling is still with you! :clap:

cj

meowmeow
07-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Thanks Kristen, Kate, Kathleen & CJ! YOu guys are all so sweet!
I am still pleased...but more preoccupied with the next show coming up!

s.

Artistammy
07-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Next show? When & where is it? I don't know much about shows yet so I'm curious. lol

meowmeow
07-02-2004, 10:24 AM
THe next show I am doing is Monday, July 5. Another outdoor show.

I don't know much about shows, either, Tammy! I am learning. It is interesting and as long as I can keep myself positive and understand that sometimes you sell and sometimes you don't, they are fun. The ones I am doing are outdoor shows where you set up your display. There is usually an entry fee ($40-$60 seems to be about average around here in southern Maine). The one last week was an annual show run by the Saco Chamber of Commerce (or something). The next ones are run by the local art group I belong to, but you don't have to be a member to show.
Some of these shows have awards, some don't. Some of the judging seems to be by "real art experts"...whatever that means. And some seem to be more by the people visiting who get to vote. So although it is nice to win, in the scheme of things, it doesn't necessarily mean all that much. I don't mean to belittle it but these are not really juried shows or anything, that I am doing.
The shaw last week did have one small section of crafts but otherwise it is art and photography. The ones coming up by the art group doesn't allow any crafts.
Anyhow, it's all been a good experience for me. You see what other people are exhibiting and get to talk to other artists.
I guess the next step for me will be to try entering some slides in a juried show. But I'm in no hurry to do it!

s.

bogbeast
07-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Congratulations!!!!Congratulations!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: