Saturday Morning long pose.
ON MY OWN STRETCHED CANVAS.
too loose lautrec!
dj*

ZOTMA
09-29-2001, 10:47 PM
rich, delicate skin, dig her gaze
nice framing
is the breast on our left a little high? (hard to know, you were there)
....and on your own cavas no less
oil?
nice

Impulse
09-30-2001, 01:09 AM
too loose indeed
delightful colors singing on her face
beautiful composition
and beautiful painting
well done

jerryW
09-30-2001, 07:44 AM
great shapes, i am hooked by the thumb, but never stuck. nice open flow.

cagathoc
09-30-2001, 07:59 AM
O, DJ! **sigh**

It must feel so good... to paint like this. :clap:

Free2bu
09-30-2001, 10:35 AM
This is beautiful!! I love the colors.

giniaad
09-30-2001, 12:04 PM
dj*...this is a beautifully done piece...
of a beautiful woman...
subtle and rich in colors...
wonderful composition...
great work!

ginia

dornberg
10-01-2001, 08:20 PM
diagonals crossing
rounded shapes repeating
touches of blue green red yellow
related to the skin tones
areas without detail contrast with detailed

ejfarrae
10-02-2001, 09:55 AM
i was wondering how amazing it was going to be when i finally got to see a piece of yours that wasn't some purple slopped here and there in some quickie fifteen minute study (not that they aren't amazing as well). this certainly doesn't disappoint. amazing subtle use of color. great expression. your eye for detail is exquisite. the neck is especially enjoyable. more please.

aaasp
10-02-2001, 04:50 PM
Dj this so nice to see. You're good. I have to disagree with some of our friends. I think a background less in tonal "agreement" with the figure would make it more vibrant.
I always tell myself that a painting is FLAT like a wall and that one of the illusions we create on it is the third dimension. So, if you seperated the exquisite figure from her background (possibly with warm/earth tones like an old wall) she would be all the stronger.
That's the way I'd go. Thank heaven we're all different:)
Anthony

djstar
10-03-2001, 03:19 PM
Lots of great input... YES the boob is goofy.
Honestly, if I had more time to develop and worked more on placement, it is in the right location, but only works when you see the whole body. She is twisted with her elbow way back and shoulder hidden which actually lifted it up that high. MY PROBLEM was not having time to finish the plane of her chest that showed it flattened and arched below it. I actually put too much detail in the nipple at the last 20 minutes, trying to catch up, but needed more time to work out the really nice temperatures in the shadows rolling toward it.
I cropped this smaller in the Portraiture posting, just to show the good stuff, and may see if I can figure out how to re-stretch it so there is enough to keep.
I have brought my digital camera a few times, and will try to see if I remember to take a picture (not the nudes) to try to do more finishing after from here on.
I tried publishing an article about the other piece I did this week, but frankly, it looks glunky, my digital cam needed a tripod badly to do progress pieces and I felt pretty dumb anyway snapping away at my picture in the group!
I have two more sessions this week of long poses and I am going to try to document, just to see how I am doing, for a while.
It is really nifty to view a piece through the camera. It objectifies it a LOT and I see more to work on and how it is working.
ALSO, I can view it as a gray scale and really see if my colors are working as values!
ok, lunch break over... back to real world.
dj*