PDA

View Full Version : margaret, are you grieving

LornaM
09-29-2001, 02:54 PM
over golden grove unleaving ?

amazing how coming so close to war has brought back all the poetry i loved in my twenties... that line is by gerard manley hopkins. this is scanner size, charcoal, colored pencil, pastel. i tried to get somewhere near the depth of the human face...did not succeed...

cagathoc
09-29-2001, 03:19 PM
I like the way you used your materials on this one; she glows.

jerryW
09-29-2001, 05:47 PM
this is complete in itself
you could easily frame it.
every direction that has been
taken up is resolved nicely and
is compatible with the whole.

allanom
09-29-2001, 10:34 PM
A very solid picture.. Nice!

ZOTMA
09-29-2001, 10:41 PM
the area of the nose and eyes are romancing me
sensitivity
particularly in the dark, odd shapes of her pupils
depth, yes
empathy, yes

pampe
09-29-2001, 10:44 PM
beautiful, Lorna...and well named....

a moving piece

I am reminded of Mother Theresa

Pam

Impulse
09-30-2001, 01:06 AM
very well done
i like what i see in this

again the text - even the title
is at least as important here

allanom
09-30-2001, 12:08 PM
"the text - even the title
is at least as important here"

Very nice point, impulse. Often the title of a piece can be critical in enhancing the viewer's understanding of it. Not very often a work of art can be called, simply, 'Untitled' and not leave the viewer a little frustrated about the artist's intention.

LornaM
10-01-2001, 06:43 AM
thanks for your comments ! the mention of mother teresa was interesting to me. i just read that the catholic church is going through her papers to determine if she deserves sainthood. what interested me was to know that all through her life she suffered from terrible depression. a priest advised her to write her honest feelings in a journal, and she did.

i wish i was better with titles...seems heimo has to help, or the poets.

all the best, and thanks again for taking the time to comment... i plan to start commenting again too ! love, Lorna

Mud Mixer Linda
10-01-2001, 12:00 PM
It seems many of the great ones suffered from depression. Must be the ability to understand too much. I think the slight smile adds to the mistique of this piece, a wise choice.