PDA

View Full Version : Mother America & Her Family

bbbilly1326
09-29-2001, 01:20 PM
I've had a family photo for commission for a few months now, and have just gotten around to starting it.

This is a military family and recent events have inspired me to do it like this and to name as above, with the subtitle, "Portrait of the Family of Army SGT Marc Selby."

The several months hiatus I've taken from painting seem to have helped me consolidate some knowledge, because this is going fast, helped by a projector for getting the facial proportions in charcoal first.

This is just what I've done today. The likenesses are adequate as they are, but I need to polish it somewhat.

I haven't blended on this one, and have used warm/cool contrasts and grayed colors more effectively than ever, I think.

I would like your comments.

Oil on linen, 20"x24" (50x60 cm)

Bill

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2001/Selby.JPG

bbbilly1326
09-29-2001, 01:24 PM
Ugh, that's a really bad photo. I'll try to get a better one.

See if this is better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2001/Selby2.JPG

Bill

Sylvielu
09-29-2001, 01:54 PM
its very nice. I need to get my oils out! Make the mom's hands a little more defined please! Sylvie

bbbilly1326
09-29-2001, 01:58 PM
Thanks Sylvie. I have'nt finished the hands, and the ones on the right will, I hope, be the husband's hand covered by his wife's. Unfortunately, the photo I'm working from has no hands as I've painted them, so I might have to ask them to post. Hands are very tough for me.

Bill

jerryW
09-29-2001, 04:23 PM
a very encouraging start!
now you get to go mental and have fun too

bbbilly1326
09-29-2001, 05:02 PM
Thanks Jerry.

I just realized I have the flag wrong; no matter how you hang it, the stars can't be in that position. I'll have to put it in the upper right corner, which I think will work better anyway.

Bill

jerryW
09-29-2001, 05:35 PM
this position of the flag could be acceptible if the pole is tilted down and seen from the 'back'

Impulse
09-30-2001, 12:57 AM
nice work bbbilly
it will look good polished
i like the flag as the background
and you're right it's wrong

stay with it, it's looking great

bbbilly1326
09-30-2001, 02:27 AM
Thanks Impulse, I've already wiped out the stars. It'll be easy to adjust and will look better too I think.

Now comes the hard, MIDDLE part of the painting, when most of the work starts. Making all those adjustments that require concentration.

I like the beginning and end a lot better. :)

Bill