PDA

View Full Version : WDE-19 June- late fisher girl. WIP

artbyjune
06-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Couldn't get started on this until middle of week. I wanted to try something new. So an experiment in technique. So maybe not a very good likeness because of that.

Codi.

1. underpainting in acrylics...complementary colours (2 hours stage)
2. a bit of oil on the sea (another hour)
3. one coat of oil paint over everything. ( about 4 hours) Just finished that coat today.

12 by 16 ins. so fairly biggish.

I think I like the painting...?? I never can tell immediately after!!

lisilk
06-25-2004, 03:55 PM
WOW June ! I know I like it immediately :clap: :clap: Looks awesome to me ! Love seeing how you got there too.

Charlie's Mum
06-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Gosh June, I am in awe!
I tried an underpainting in complementaries and just got confused :confused: - so how do you manage it? This is something else! :clap: :clap:

CAULFIELD
06-25-2004, 05:26 PM
This looks great! How do you like working this way? I think the unerpainting itself is very interesting! Post it when you're finished!
~Nicole

sundiver
06-25-2004, 08:14 PM
I even liked her when she was green!
Did you find the complementary underpainting to be helpful to you?

dabblerdot
06-26-2004, 03:19 AM
This is fascinating !! I agree, the image is arresting in the complementary base coat, but you have to be well-pleased with the final outcome :clap: :)
Veddy, veddy interesting !!

artbyjune
06-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Now I am a day away from it, I look at it and I think I am pleased with it. The experiment of the underpainting was fun and challenging and I find I like this method!!

I don't think I will add to this painting though. I could go on and do glazes when the first coat of oil dries but I might muck it up. The main thing I have learned is to stop when its reasonably OK.

The main positive thing about the underpainting is that you have a guide for the overpainting. Actually, I rather liked Codi in green paint but thought I'd better do her in realistic colours.

With underpainting, to make my choice of colours, I just did the warm (finals) in cool and cool (finals) in warm.

I'm glad I did this method. Something new. Many thanks -dabblerdot, sundiver, caulfield, charlie'smum amd lisilk- for looking and commenting.

I hope I can do the WDE on time tonight. Nothing on the horizon, so ....