PDA

View Full Version : Using Velour Paper

annie14072
06-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Hello everyone! :D

I am fairly new to pastels. I have been painting with oils and watercolors for about 5 years now. I bought a book by Lesley Harrison and fell in love with her animals and the pastel technique.

I have been practicing for a couple months now and the results have been terrific but I am having a little trouble with the velour paper. How do you erase or blend on that paper? :confused:

I am attaching a couple of my "practice paintings". These are just practice copies so that I can get the technique down. They is NOT for sale or display purposes.

Muffin_4377
06-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Welcome Annie!! :)

I can't help ya with your question, I have never worked with velour paper, but someone more knowledgable will come along in no time.

:eek: I'm just amazed that you call these "practice pieces" !!! Outstanding job on the cub, by far my favorite!! Can't wait to see what you would sell ;) !!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

annie14072
06-25-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the compliments! They are always welcome. The reason I cannot sell those paintings is because I used paintings from someone's book as a model and although they are not exactly the same, they are close enough. I have started doing some using my own reference materials and will be able to sell those. :p

Deborah Secor
06-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi Annie, nice meeting you. Welcome to the pastel forum. I agree with muffin, these look great! Unfortunately I really haven't had much experience with the velour paper, mostly because of what you mentioned. I need a paper that allows me to change things, and the velour pretty much makes up its mind to keep every little thing you put down there. After trying it once I decided to go back to my sandpaper, which allows me to erase and change things more easily. I use Wallis and La Carte (called pastel card in some places). The La Carte is soft and sandy, but it's not deep and nappy like velour. Maybe give one of these a try! However, maybe someone with more velour experience can give you some hints.

By the way, I've asked the moderators to move your thread over to the Soft Pastels Studio, since I think it'll get more attention there. We want other soft pastelists to see this and answer your questions.

Very nice work--hope to see more!
Deborah

MKathleen
06-25-2004, 07:12 PM
:) Hello, welcome to the Pastel Forum. Deborah is right I think you will get more comments here in the Soft Pastel forum.
I have worked with velour paper and it's one if not the most challenging pastel papers you can work on. When I work on this paper I use leaning bridge over the top of the paper so as not to leave pressure impressions. Erasing I was never successful at and blending has to be done by laying color on top of color. I was able to very lightly blend to color edges together with a light stroke of my little finger.
If you don't have your heart totally set on working on velour paper totally. Give some of the other pastel papers a try, get some experience with non-valour paper. Then have a go at velour paper again.
The images that you have shown us for just beginning work with pastel and velour paper is really good.
Best,

annie14072
06-26-2004, 12:00 AM
:p

Thanks to both Kathy and Deb for your advice and kind words. The pastels I submitted are not done on velour, just on pastel paper I bought at the art supply store. I tried to do a wolf with the velour but wasn't crazy about the results. I actually liked the cheaper paper better because I had more control. I will post the velour wolf tomorrow so you can see the difference.

I love working with pastels. I am getting such wonderful results and I think each painting is getting a little better.

Annie

K Taylor-Green
06-26-2004, 12:24 AM
Hi Annie, I learned pastels from Leslie Harrison's book, also. I really like the effect I get on the velour paper, but you do have to do some planning ahead of time. Don't make your under painting heavy, it fills in the tooth too fast, and you have no place to go. You really can't blend it very much.
I think the brand makes a difference, too. I am unsure of the brand name, but I get mine at Dick Blick's.
Of course, if velour isn't for you, there are so many other papers to choose from. Just keep the pastels!! :D

annie14072
06-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the advice Kate. I did get my velour paper from Dick Blick's also. Maybe I will give is another shot after I finish the little lion cub I am working on. Do you have any examples of work you have done on velour that I might take a peak at?

Take care. :cat:

Annie

K Taylor-Green
06-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Annie, Here are three of the pieces that I have done on velour paper.
I know that Leslie doesn't use a fixative on her pieces, but I use a little on mine.

annie14072
06-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi Kate,

WOW!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks so much for sharing those beautiful paintings with me. I just loved the tiger. I am attaching the wolf that I did on velour. Any constructive criticism is is welcome.

Take care. :)

Annie

annie14072
06-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Ok....hehehe...here's the wolf on velour! :clap:

K Taylor-Green
06-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Is'nt he a lovely model? I am aquainted with this wolf, he lives at Wolf Park, in Indiana. He was also the one I chose to work with Leslie's technique!
I wish you had posted a larger image, it is hard to tell a whole lot about him. Your proportions seem fine, and the coat is nice, but I can't see his eyes!!

annie14072
06-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Hi Kate,

I was having trouble uploading a larger image here. If you take a look in my gallery you can see the larger one and also a few more that I have finished.

Let me know what you think. ;)

Annie

Deborah Secor
06-28-2004, 09:03 PM
We really need to see this one larger! Love the purple you used, very expressive, Annie.

If you need some help with the uploader, let me know. Make sure that your image is no more than 600 pixels in any direction, and turn off your accelerator, if you have one. Feel free to PM me if you want... I'll see if I can talk you through it!

Deborah

annie14072
06-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Hi Deb,

I reduced the size of the original to 600 max. I hope it goes through this time. :(

Keep your fingers crossed.

Annie

annie14072
06-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Ok, there it is. I still don't like the effect I got from the velour paper. To me it looks a little cartoonish instead of the nice soft effect I got on the other paper. Let me know what I can do to make it better. Thanks :confused:

Annie

K Taylor-Green
06-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Now I can see the eyes, and they are quite good. Since you can't erase on velour, you really can't change this piece.
Do you draw directly on the paper, or transfer your drawing from drawing paper, as I do? I draw on Bristol, then trace it, and transfer the drawing to the velour with a charcoal pencil. I use the sides of my soft pastels for my underpainting, then detail it with Nupastels and pastel pencils. It works for me. Velour isn't for everyone, and as much as I like it, it isn't my favorite paper. That would be Wallis paper!! I hope all this helps a little.

annie14072
06-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Hi Kate,

I'm glad you liked his eyes. Thanks for the tips. No, I had not drwan it on paper first and then transfered. I think I will try another one soon using some of the hints I have gotten here. I have finished a couple more this week and will post them soon.

Thanks again ;)
Annie

TFB
02-17-2005, 05:31 AM
Hi,
Have to agree that velour paper is very challenging. I have completed 2 paintings on my sample pieces. I love the softness, found it impossible to blend other than with layering pastel, I could erase by dabbing with a putty rubber and actually make lines this way using black paper. I was pleased with the results, but noticed while working that wisps of pastel seemed to escape at every stroke. Shock, horror...when I removed the work and tapped it, like I normally do with La Carte, half of it dropped off and adhered to the rest of the work! Any way after using my putty rubber, hair drier and more layers of pastel with workable fixative (which I never normally use) it is back to its former self. I have come to the conclusion that it is better to use fixative with it. Grumbacher myston workable fixative doesn't seem to leave spots or deaden the pastel. I am in two minds whether to get more velour...I do love working on it, but worry about the permanence.

I will attempt to upload the two images, the first on grey and the second on black.

Hope my experience helps someone,
TFB

TFB
02-17-2005, 05:57 AM
Hi.
My second upload didn't work...I will try again. I look forward to my framers comments re permanence. I hope fixative might be the answer, if so, I will be buying more. Much cheaper than La Carte too.

Kathryn Wilson
02-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi TFB - Welcome to the Pastel Forum. I like both of your efforts on velour and would love for the rest of the forum to see them. Would you mind uploading these two in their own thread - by placing them here they will stay hidden to most people and I think you will get a greater response. They really deserve to be seen by more people - :D

I especially love the horse racing painting - :clap:

ElfeUra
02-18-2005, 02:52 AM
Hi,
the very first paper I tried with Pastels were Ingres-Paper and I didnt like it. Then I bought some Velour and I love it. It need some time to get used to it, but I love the soft effect.
Here is what I have painted so far on Velour. Almost exclusivle NuPastels and Pitt-Pastel-Pencils. And all on grey Velour.

Rita

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2005/43065-Titania_WP.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2005/43065-Step_WC.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2005/43065-Merlin_WC.jpg

Artaholic
02-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Welcome Annie, nice work. I erase with a stiff brush and it works good. I have been prettu rough with it and it stands up fine . You can paint over the area even if it seems like the pastel is not all gone. I do blend some with my rubber gloves but usually don't do too much. I can blend like mad on sanded paper :D

Dark_Shades
02-19-2005, 04:34 AM
Hello Annie

I have used velour too, my main concern was about pastel dropping from the surface, so I dont use it now...... but this is one I did

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2005/12116-Lion6.jpg

You have some lovely works there and also wish we could see bigger images... Ive heard rave reviews about Lesley Harrisons book, I should invest in a copy