PDA

View Full Version : First WIP tell me what to do (in GIMP) (ha ha I think I made a joke)

CrystalSky
06-25-2004, 12:54 PM
I haven't posted any pics in a long time so I might do this wrong...Now I know this is awful, but i haven't even done a regular sketch on paper in at least a year. This is my first digital WIP. I am completely new to digital, and I am starting with GIMP 2.0. Please give me some direction....What should I do to make this better (pretend I am 5 years old) Should I have started my background first then created this as another layer..also it is far from having ANY realistic qualities...any pointers there would be good too. Thank again!

CrystalSky
06-25-2004, 01:57 PM

Michael
06-25-2004, 02:09 PM
I am not very familiar with Gimp, but, from what I have seen, Gimp has fabulous smudging tools.

If it was me, I would begin by smudging together the different shades of colors, giving it a softer look, then decide from there which direction to close.

Remember....work from a copy and keep your original, just in case :D

Looking real good so far Crystal!!!..Keep it up!!

Duende
06-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Hello Crystalsky and welcome to the forum.
I find roses are extremely difficult flowers to paint. Since you are asking for help, I will pass on a few tips that I have learned .
Try starting off with a very faint sketch in a nuetral colour, remembering to "see" the "negative space" ( the space around the petal,) rather than petal itself.
You could soften some of edges of the petals to create "lost and found" edges, not every edge has to be sharp.
As far as color is concerned, if your really examine the rose carefully, you should find that their are many different warm and cool shades throughout the petals. Usually the petals are warmest where the light hits and cool in the shadows. If you can pick these colors out and paint them into your rose, they will give the impression of "mass" which will create a far more realistic look. I hope this helps. Paddy

Chiers
06-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi Crystal and welcome. The Gimp is one of the few free programs that I don't have so I'm no help to you there and I'm also not much good as a teacher so I'll just say that it looks like you have a good start. Just keep practising. Paddy gave good advice too.

CrystalSky
06-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Okay, I've done this in my spare stolen time :clap: I'm really forcing in the time (3 kids under 4).

Thanks Paddy-I will try working on the rose with your direction.

Michael-Hey you were suppose to check out GIMP for me (remember the tuts-I was the one who brought out the GIMP :D-By the way WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE-great thread--soooooooooooooo funny--If it's still going for a while maybe I will try my hand at someone for the first time....I did take your advice with the background so far (I did this all by hand (or mouse ;) ) the smudge tool is awesome!

CrystalSky
06-26-2004, 12:08 AM

Michael
06-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Crystal,

Well, I am not at home this weekend, so I can't refer to GIMOP and see what is what, but as soon as I get home I will. That way I can know what I am talking about...LOL

I do have it installed at home.

I think you are doing really well here, I do love the background.

Much good advise was given here. One thing to remember though, when just starting out, start small...work on an area and become comfortable with it, whether it is smudging, coloring, and then move on.

You have a good eye, and with the kids around...all I can say is...Excellent!! :clap:

CrystalSky
06-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the reference picture Pilan! :clap:

Pilan
06-26-2004, 05:54 PM
WOW!! what a beauty :clap: you did here. Very impressive work.

:) thanks for letting me know.

P

peoplepainter
06-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Like most everyone else I have downloaded the Gimp but I am so used to PS I am having a tough time so I am no help there. As far as the flower goes, I like the background you added and I think someone else mentioned adding in some other color. One example would be some purples or blues in shaded areas and warmer pinks and light yellows on the highlights but again, this may be harder than I think in the Gimp.
First digital?! Darn good way to start!
Lisa