PDA

View Full Version : "Male Seated" - Study in Oil

JeanineJ
09-29-2001, 10:21 AM
http://www.peoplescapesct.com/files/maleseated.jpg
Oil on canvas board, 16" x 20."

The object of this class was to push color notes to further extemes in values leaving more room to play with middle tones later... This is called "The poster stage"... I think I'm learning to be more brave...??? she asked shyly.

jerryW
09-29-2001, 10:30 AM
I may be stuck in poster stage.
I like these geometries.

dornberg
09-29-2001, 11:18 AM
the arm hand and leg ankle areas are done with interest in shape relations

giniaad
09-29-2001, 12:15 PM
Jeanine...
this is for sure my favorite of what I have seen of your work...

his presence and stance is "right there"...
this, in this stage, could be done as is!
it can also go on...
this is the way to go!!

great work!!:clap:

ginia

allanom
09-29-2001, 10:47 PM
Something a little wrong about the symmetry of the shoulders (unless intentional?), however, nice solution for the project.

JeanineJ
09-29-2001, 11:56 PM
jerry - I actually saw 3 major inverted triangles when I started this... You are way beyond "poster," child!

dornberg - I found the feet and shoes to be my favorite parts to paint on this... guess it shows???

ginia - wow! your favorite??? Thank so much...

allanom - the model was sitting on a big black cushion wearing a black sweater... Next week is same pose I'm thinking of modifying cushion to a burgundy color to show the lines of the shoulders more clearly on viewer's left.

One more thing I was thinking of adding to viewer's right side on the floor is a tossed newspaper with recent headline... I will post changes if I make them next week...

Thank you all so much for valuable comments...

Impulse
09-30-2001, 01:13 AM
nicely done
like dornberg and jerry said
the geometry is very engaging
i like it as it sits

(always knew jerry was a poster child)

Ceu
09-30-2001, 01:35 AM
:clap: wonderful Jeanine:)

ArtyHelen
10-01-2001, 07:56 AM
Excellent job, Jeanine!! :clap:

Helen

Luvy
10-01-2001, 08:35 AM
Jeanine I love it. I see the pillow but just barely. Is that a flag on his shirt? Love this think the newspaper idea would be a great addition.

:)

JeanineJ
10-01-2001, 09:32 AM
Ceu, Helen, and Luvy - Thank you! Your feedback is always valued... Yes, that is a flag on his black sweater, Luvy... I will look for appropriate news headlines to add to next week's session and post progress...

Ginette
10-01-2001, 10:54 AM
Can't wait to see the final.
Looks good so far. You know me a little more contrast :o

Ginette

MelG
10-01-2001, 11:01 AM
His dark look, pointy nose and bony cheeks remind me of my late Grandfather ..

Other than that, I would prefer a dark background (..as usual!) :)
I think it would bring out the face and the light shadows of his clothing would contrast the dark background making it very dynamic. (..I think?)

:)

aaasp
10-01-2001, 01:47 PM
It's expressive. I like the position and the angular, unusual but true treatment of the legs and feet. My 2cents worth would be to emphasize the darks (the sweater mainly) and push the cool/hot contrasts of the background.
Anthony