PDA

View Full Version : Winter Surf

Gillette
06-25-2004, 12:16 AM
This is Lights Beach and I took the pics the weekend before last when there was a big sea running, there was a strong offshore wind and the top sprays were enormous. I also prayed it wouldn't be a king wave as down here they can come up from nowhere, and there was a steep dune behind me.
It's hard to reproduce the colour exactly, but this is reasonable.
They say we're in for a 5m swell this weekend, so guess where I'll be!
Jane.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2004/38894-winter_surf1a_cr.res.jpg

Marty C
06-25-2004, 01:26 AM
Hi Jane,
Lights beach is a spectacular beach, the raw power of the ocean is amazing to see and you have captured these elements in this work. Very well done.
Take care, getting photos for works like this can be treacherous.

Gillette
06-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Thanks Marty,
Glad you like it. Isn't this a fantastic area for diversity in the coast line.
There's gales and squalls today so I think I'll just stay in and paint.
Jane.

LEIGH RUST
06-27-2004, 06:58 AM
Hi Jane, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one crazy enough to stand in the way of the ocean for the sake of my art! Marty is right though. Please be careful, late last year I nearly got washed away while on site. A friend of mine was getting a photo of me standing on a rock at the edge of Shack Bay (See painting below) when a wave literally drenched me! She was waiting to catch the waves breaking in front of me and didn't get a chance to warn me! Great work!!! :) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2004/43435-shack-bay.jpg

VeldaJ
06-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Excellent work on those breaking waves, Jane. No doubt about it ...the power of the sea is enormous and not to be trifled with.

Soundslike you were extremely lucky Rusty.

Gillette
06-29-2004, 08:36 AM
Hi Rusty
Yes in the past when I was beach fishing and MUCH younger I have been washed over by a wave, I think I'm careful now but there's always the chance of a surprise big one.
Thanks Joy, the sea was so powerful that day, glad you like my waves.
Jane.