PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Leone aka armless figure

mame
09-29-2001, 09:17 AM
smaller than I usually do. approx 8 inch w (var) x 10 inch h

acrylic/collage center rectangle is a piece of wood - "fractures" the 2-d space.

As always. If I did this wrong, will delete and try again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2001/armlessfull.gif

jheinrich
09-29-2001, 11:54 AM
I enjoy the yellow glow your paintings have.

I don't think you need the "aka armless woman" in the title (if that was the title) "Sierra Leone" is enough ... Hard to forget those times, but I prolly read more news than most people.

We have a number of refugees here in KC from that conflict, my daughter's pediatrician actually was the one who fit the girls with prosthetics.

thanks for posting, I always enjoy viewing your work ...

jeanette*

mame
09-29-2001, 12:12 PM
Hi jeanette. Actually "official" title is really Armless Figure.

"Meaning" for me, in my own work (whatever "meaning" means ) usually comes gradually, after the fact as I rarely begin with preconceived ideas. I know it's about Sierra Leone now and frankly was a little uncomfortable using that title here.

I don't like "telling" or being didactic or hitting people over the head with what it's "supposed" to be for those who take a gander. Given room to interpret, I have found that the interceptors of the work have much more imagination than I do and bring so much more richness to the little ditties than I could ever have projected.

Sorry for this dissertation. I'm avoiding cleaning the bathroom. Txs for your time and interest.
Regards

AmyH
09-29-2001, 01:24 PM
glad your avoiding cleaning...I am too, so now I have something great to look at and something to read.

wish I could see it better (the common cry).

kids are eating crayons and beating each other up over an old baby bottle nipple.

later

amy

colorme
09-29-2001, 03:00 PM
i'm liking everything abou this, the face just sticks out to me, i like the 'dirty' look, if you can call it that.:cool:

mame
09-29-2001, 08:06 PM
Mud is the best part - you know that stuff that gets all mixed together on the pallet? I like your word, "dirty" Very appropriate!

Txs for your comment, colorme.

cagathoc
09-30-2001, 08:43 AM
The longer I look, the more I see. I like that in art.

mame
09-30-2001, 09:06 AM
Amy, Finally got to the cleaning but the painting didn't get done. Women painters need housekeepers too!

Txs for lingering, cagathoc.

ZOTMA
09-30-2001, 03:14 PM
the yellow does glow, burn, scorch
the stare is like a sun spot
the angles flare
wish I could see this for it's 3 dimensional quality, we're missing out with this little pic (not complaining....I don't think)

mame
09-30-2001, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by ZOTMA
the yellow does glow, burn, scorch
the stare is like a sun spot
the angles flare
wish I could see this for it's 3 dimensional quality, we're missing out with this little pic (not complaining....I don't think)

a beautiful word painting, ZOTMA. Txs

kelly
11-13-2001, 07:45 PM
And Mame...Where R U??????

Everyone send her email telling her we miss her and we need her to post work here!!!

ArtyHelen
11-14-2001, 06:39 AM
Well, if Amy disappears, mame has to.
They're joined at the hip.

sassybird
11-18-2001, 10:16 AM
If you are still showing in Stewarts I have got to get up there to see your work first hand. I hate adjusting my glasses and still not seeing all I want to ;)

reynolds
09-20-2005, 12:39 AM
:clap: coming up for air!!!