PDA

View Full Version : WDE 06/12 (Late)

ams
06-24-2004, 09:11 PM
I finished the two hour mark last week but didn't get it scanned until this week. It has been really busy at work.

I decided to finish it before I posted and upload both versions.

Neocolor II underpainting with cp on top on Stonehenge. 5" x 7"

I did some experimenting with underpainting on this one and would like to try the same technique again. I'm not real pleased with the shrubs, especially the ones in the back but shrubs and trees seem to give me the greatest challenge.

The first scan is after 2 hours. The final one probably has another 3 hours but I wasn't really keeping track.

C & C welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Anne

lisilk
06-25-2004, 12:25 AM
Hi Anne,

So pleased you painted a bristlecone. I just love their twisted trunks and you've done a great job on this one. :clap: It has nice strong stylized lines and you caught the red tint the sun had added. Your rocks look great. I'm not sure why you are not pleased with the brush except maybe the foreground and background brush look a bit similar.

I think it's lovely !

ams
06-25-2004, 06:31 AM
Thanks for your comments lisilk. I think the bushes in the back are too solid. I get the feeling of green, round bubbles instead of bushes but I do think each time I try a bush, it gets a little bit better.

I enjoyed doing the pine tree. The texture of the wood was what attracted me. I used quite a bit "artistic license" on this one but I had a lot of fun.
Thanks for a great reference picture. :)
Anne

Charlie's Mum
06-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks for your comments lisilk. I think the bushes in the back are too solid. I get the feeling of green, round bubbles instead of bushes but I do think each time I try a bush, it gets a little bit better.

I enjoyed doing the pine tree. The texture of the wood was what attracted me. I used quite a bit "artistic license" on this one but I had a lot of fun.
Thanks for a great reference picture. :)
Anne
I really rather like the stylized look of those bushes - they fit beautifully with the rest of the picture and the whole has a very individual style, so please don't alter anything!
You know how we 'see' things in others' paintings?????.............well, the trees are really a couple of March hares aren't they? (OK, I know it's June). and the Green Man is sitting between them. (In Britain, the Green Man has certain conotations!) :evil:

sundiver
06-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Nicely done! I find foliage difficult with cp; I think you handled it well. Do the cps go over Neocolor IIs easily? I tried them as an underpainting for pastels, and I could only get the softest pastels to adhere to it.

ams
06-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks for your comments Charlie's Mum and sundiver.

I applied the Neocolors with a brush, like water color. When that layer was totally dry, I didn't have any trouble adding the colored pencils on top. I'm not sure if you could add as many layers as you can on plain paper but I was able to add all I wanted to.

I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds foliage difficult in cp. I think the next time I try some foliage, I will do even more with the Neocolors and just do some final details with the cp. I must say that the combination of the two is certainly faster than cp alone. :)

Anne

dabblerdot
06-27-2004, 03:18 AM
Now that's interesting- my Neocolour ll's are hard little sticks and I have no idea how to make them into a fluid medium- it would be fun to try it !!
But back to the subject at hand- I'm so glad you persisted and posted, even 'late', this is a satisfying visual experience because of the way you handled the knarled old trunk, and that bush in the left front is fantastic !! I really like what you have done here ! :clap: :)

ams
06-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Thanks dabblerdot for your comment. I was pleased with the knarled wood. I also think the front bush was the best of the bunch. I was experimenting with different techniques on each area of foliage.

There are two ways to make Neocolor IIs into a fluid medium.

One way is to apply the crayon dry on the paper and then lightly brush with water. You have to use a soft brush and a very light touch or you remove the pigment. This method doesn't produce an even color but it does fill in the valleys of the paper with pigment which is difficult to do when working with colored pencil.

The second way (and I think better) is to scribble a heavy layer on another piece of paper and then use like conventional pan water color and dip your wet brush into the pigment and brush on your painting. I scribble on a disposable pallet and it works great. I don't lose any of the pigment into the paper that way.

Anne