PDA

View Full Version : Athena/oil

arourapope
09-28-2001, 04:06 PM
Hello everyone!
I had a really, really tough time on this one. Please let me know if you can tell!:( I'm still not sure She's done. I just need to walk away for a bit, and let someone else look at Her.
My hubby thinks the breasts are too small, and this afternoon he said She looks too manly. I think Athena needs to look really strong, I don't know. I slimmed Her down a bit, but I don't want to go much farther.....afraid She'll turn into Barbie. :(
And personally, I think big boobies would really get in the way of wielding that big sword.:mad:
How much of this is male fantasy vs. reality? And how much of this is female feminisism vs. reality?
Aurora

ps. I forgot. It's 16x22, on board.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2001/athena.jpg

Details fer ya:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2001/athenadetail1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2001/athenadetail2.jpg

ZOTMA
09-28-2001, 04:33 PM
graceful depiction of a powerful scene
the imagery is sensational
I like the perspective, I feel like the breast could be seated a little far towards her arm and that could be why a small but 'fine' sized breast could be looking strange to the hubby (not sure about the fantasies though I'm sure other members will come forward).
her size and stature is a good embodiment of our ideas of Athena
I wouldn't change a thing there.
fabulous piece Aurora

jheinrich
09-28-2001, 04:33 PM
aurora-

really nice concept and execution ... those feet are making me crazy with delight!

the breast bothers me, but because it appears to be seen from straight on, whereas the rest of the perspective suggests that you would actually be seeing the bottom of the breast (looking up at it), seeing only the bottom curve and nipple ????

I love the woman's feathers, excellent line between abstraction/reality going on there ... the lower bird seems superfluous to me, the one is more symbolic, IMUO! :D I would like to see that lower area all dark ... a place for the eye to rest.

seriously beautiful work!

jeanette*

Fagan
09-28-2001, 04:44 PM
WOW! this is stunning! THis is my favorite of yours so far. I agree about the breast....to me it looks like it is under her armpit. Maybe more forward and like Jeanette said....seeing the underneath side. KEWL work!

bobsart
09-28-2001, 04:56 PM
This is an ambitious piece! More than I would tackle. I think your husband has "Chyna" (WWF women's champion) in mind. I agree with him.

BTW, I wonder if you might be related to my step-daughter in Lawerenceville who married a Pope ?.......bob

Impulse
09-28-2001, 05:10 PM
i am hoping opinion does not divide
along man / woman lines on the
question of the proportion of the breast
in the detail shot it looks unnaturally small
for the size of body -- jerry will no doubt
check it thrice

i also noticed that her right knee bend
seems too low on the leg

cagathoc
09-28-2001, 05:28 PM
FANTASTIC piece! I love the sword jutting out towards the viewer.

She is obviously female - especially with the long hair. I don't think we need to pander to the male idea of appropriate breasts here!!! This is the goddess of the hunt, after all,,, :rolleyes:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Cap
09-28-2001, 06:53 PM
It is a wonderful piece. Superbly rendered as usual.
The breast would ring more true if she were laying on her back.
Anyone over 30 knows that! lol
I think making the breast a little bigger and bringing it more to her right might fix it.

Luvy
09-28-2001, 08:53 PM
Exquisite!!!:clap:

arourapope
09-28-2001, 09:30 PM
Hi Guys!
Well, I'm afraid you are probably right. I really %^$#@#$* don't want to move that breast. I had fits painting it......never had such a hard time painting a breast before. The angle, I think, is what's making it so weird. But, I will move it......:(
Don't think I want to mess up Athena's breasts, anyways........
Impulse, I debated that knee too. You saw it right away, didn't you? I know from this perspective, the lower legs should be a bit longer than they are. I was hoping the long-legged thigh thing would add to the stature and to the femininity. Skinny no, but tall and long-legged.....h**l yes. I was trying to give Athena the legs that I, sadly, was not born with.:)
I may mess with that knee some more once She's dry.
If you guys had any idea the evolution of this piece has gone through. Started out as a mushroom, actually! The mushroom painting screwed up so badly that I just set it aside. Then a few days after 9/11 I picked it up and looked at it sideways.....and saw swirling cape and feathered wing, and Athena. I figured Athena would have some good energy for these weird, freaked out and wacky times......
Not a hunter goddess, actually; but a warrior goddess, with a healthy balance of wisdom and the arts. Very brainy Lady.......
Hope I get Her breasts right!
Bobsart, all my hubby's family is up around Indiana, so I doubt there is a relation. Pope is his name, not mine; though I am certainly borrowing it for the rest of my life! ;) My family is Reeves, and most of those folk hail from around Kansas City and Louisburg. Keith and Zotma and Fela might know a few of them, actually!
We, however, are in Georgia; and I know where Lawrenceville is really well, as we lived in Athens for years before moving here. Lawrenceville lies along the well-trodden path between Athens and Atlanta.
Well, I'm off to drink some wine and look at this painting a bit more. No more work on it until Monday probably, though. Would any of you guys mind if I post the *real* finished version when I'm done.....HA....as opposed to the "I quit!" version you are presently looking at?
BTW, looks like I will have at least one model who will be posing for me in a couple of weeks when we go up to Athens! Weeeeehhhhhheeeeeeee!!!!!!!! Properly placed boobies, here I come!:D
Thanks for looking and for the comments All!
Aurora
ps. Jeanette! Yes! The feet......Those are actually my five year old boy's feet!!!!!!!! I took some crazy pics a few weeks back with just wacky body parts in them (GETCHER MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER!!!!!!) I got these really great pics of my son's bare feet in my garden bed. Was going to do a painting and call it "On Top of the World." May still do it, actually. But anyway, when I was really hard up for feet for Athena I pulled out those pictures and used them as reference. My little boy was thrilled.........;)

AmyH
09-28-2001, 11:04 PM
I have had no less than 3 margaritas, so your getting a totally honest, if not flaky, rsponse lol.

re the "male fantasy" as far as I can see, its a fanatasy pic, so go for it, small waist big boobs, you have already commited yourself to the genre by starting it in the traditional manner, it dont wimp out now, lol. though I admit it aint my bag. the sword looks too big, not too big for a girl, just to big proportion wise.

IF i depicted athena (as if you give a damn, heh), I'd show her in the form of a portrait, waist up, minimizing the sword (partially shown in shadows), and depict her fierce determination/strength via her facial expression. I'd put flowers in her hair like a crown.

cagathoc
09-28-2001, 11:14 PM
Well, I had only 3 beers but I still think she's great as is!

I missed Amy by a sec in the chat (we could have had a drunken conversation) but I raninto Arlene int here . (She was sober.)

AmyH
09-28-2001, 11:17 PM
lol cindy,

headng out for cheap mexican food and 2 buck a thro movie.

later ;)

amy

arourapope
09-28-2001, 11:34 PM
Wasn't really going for the fantasy genre, but thanks.
Aurora

jerryW
09-29-2001, 06:17 AM
I checked, it's fine
the sword put me off
have fun

giniaad
09-29-2001, 04:43 PM
Aurora...hope the wine was soothing as you re-studied your work here...I often do that very same thing...

I really enjoy this piece...
the only advise on the boobie...
the nipple is just a bit too low...

I can't quite make out what is above her...
I'm sure it is my computer...

would love for you to post the fini...

ginia

arourapope
09-29-2001, 06:25 PM
Well, today I am looking at this painting and thinking about scrapping it and starting over. Maybe. I really don't see it as being as strong, breast or not, as I wanted it to be.....Thanks for all your comments you guys. If I redo it, I'll let you see the new one.
Am now thinking that that particular panel is cursed.
You win some, you lose some, I guess.
Aurora