PDA

View Full Version : WDE 6/19 a little late

Helen
06-22-2004, 01:20 PM
I couldn't decide between the lake with the tree line across it or the sunset so I decided to combine them. This is two hours with some dry time included. I used a Cotman watercolor pad, 8x5", and I don't like the way it takes the paint... I had a hard time getting the sunset color; everything kept looking washed out. Now that it's this far I do think I'll go back and darken the tree line a bit and the buildings that look like white spots need to be darker too I think. Loved the photographs you picked for us to work from.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2004/998-late_wde_6.19_lake_and_sunset.jpg

hopefulbucky
06-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Helen, nice job with what you were working with. I too have found some papers just don't take the WC very well and I get quite frustrated. Adding some darks will make your sunset colors pop. I will check back to see how you are doing. You made a nice combination of the 2 photos.

sundiver
06-22-2004, 03:33 PM
I like this very much! Any chance we could see a larger image?

katju
06-22-2004, 03:53 PM
You've done a nice job on the large shape of trees. They are cohesive yet you have variety to make it interesting. It was a clever idea to combine the sunset colors and the trees...I think the Cotman paper is student grade and does not "absorb" the color like Arches. When I've used it, the paint floated on top.

Kathy

Charlie's Mum
06-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Nice 'combo' Helen, and the colours are lovely - I think I like the looseness and would leave it alone - but, it's your pic , therefore your choice! :)

dabblerdot
06-22-2004, 07:46 PM
This is indeed a very successful marriage of the two pictures, and each has benefited from the union. Beautiful reflections in the water, and I understand you may want to enhance the darks, but like Maureen said, gotta be careful not to lose the lovely watery feel and make it look too well lit/reflective, after all it's the twilight time. Very pretty, peaceful painting. Good job ! :clap: :clap:

lisilk
06-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Very lovely and loose inspite of your problems. Materials can make all the difference in the world. I think your sky and reflections came out beautifully.

Deano
06-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Very nice, Helen. I really like the great variety in your tree shapes. It was a good idea combining the reference pics. Nice white at water line. :clap: :clap:

JoyL
06-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Wow - it's beautiful, Helen (the sky colours, the trees skyline). I would leave it as is. Great idea to combine the two photos.

Helen
06-23-2004, 08:30 AM
I did darken the tree line a bit. It looks darker here than in reality. Actually the entire tree line looks more like the right side but my camera didn't pick that up. I still wasn't happy with the sky so I added a bit more color. Probably should have left it alone but... it was a learning experience and I'm not unhappy with the results. Thanks for your comments. Helen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2004/998-late_6.19_finished.jpg

lisilk
06-26-2004, 04:04 AM
Helen, as someone who is terrible with watercolors, I admire your skills. I actually like the vibrant colors you added to the sky. I know the digital pictures often look darker than IRL. I bet if you put it aside for awhile, it will grow on you.

I think it's very striking !

Li